Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple but frustrating C18 code!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi i wanted to create a 16 bit unsigned int in to an 8 bit value so i did a test of anding the Lower byte and then giving it on PORT A(LATCH obviously). I ran it in MPLAB SIM, the code is correct(checked the disassembly code) but even thought there is a clear command to show the number on LATCHA it isnt showing the output.

Code:
#include<p18f1320.h>
void main(void)
{
	unsigned int j=0xff02;
	unsigned char i;
	TRISA=0;
    i=(j & 0xff);
	LATA=i;
	LATAbits.LATA4=(j & 0x01);
}

Last edited:
Got it working on LATB.Though why it didnt display on LATA, i mean except the MCLR pin(4) it should be displaying the o/p?

It didn't work because PORTA was still digital and the last instruction will have done a RMW and reset all the bits to zero. Try adding ADCON1=0x7f to your code.

Also, try,
i=j;
and
i=(char)j;

BTW, it is not a good idea to let main terminate. Add a while(1); at the end of main.

Mike.

It works now.Thanks.What if one wants to set any char to the upper part of the integer with out rotating it.

Last edited:
The most efficient way in C18 is chr=integer/256;

Using chr=integer>>8; uses 11 instructions, the above is only 2.

C18 isn't very good at optimization.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back