Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Boost Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoplek

Hi,

I am required to design a simple boost converter for the end year project. I found lots of circuit samples on internet but they didn't work on Electronics Workbench.

I am only allowed to use transistors, resistors, diodes, capacitors and inductors. And my input voltage is 5 V. Any other element is not allowed.

I would really appreciate if somebody helps me.

if you have to build a REGULATED converter... that's a pretty tough challenge if you can't use a controller chip. you would have to build a PWM controller (including triangle wave generator and comparators, among other things) completely out of transistors and discretes... I wouldn't even begin to attempt that :lol:

if it doesn't have to be regulated, you could just build a voltage doubler... then all you have to do is build a transistor oscillator (not necessarily hard).
won't be good for much output current, but you didnt' specify a minimum.

I'm not surprised you couldn't simulate those circuits in EWB. most simulation programs have a very hard time dealing with switched inductor DC-DC converter designs, if that's what you were trying... when I built one, I ended up giving up on simulation and just building it in real life, and it worked fine.

I once had a project to design a switching regulator to sell less than $5. I could build it for that but it had to sell for more. As I recall it had 2 transistors, several caps, an inductor, a zener diode & some resistors.

Just trying to give my two cents.

I did a project that implements the boost DC/DC converter as well. However, it is not a basic boost converter that only uses the components you mentioned after having the entire project being enhanced by a great engineer.

Just to let you know that Electronic Workbench (both version 4 and 5) doesn't seem to be able to simulate such circuit well, I'm not sure, maybe I will say Electronic Workbench will not work well for switching circuits. Mind to correct me if I'm wrong? I started of with with a basic boost converter in my project and tried simulating using E.Workbench but fail to obtain the proper results. But in practical I do obtain the desired results using the function generator. Maybe SwiCAD might be a better simulation program to use in this case.

Acknowledgement: Thanks a million to Victor from Canada (Nick: VVV) for helping me to get my project done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back