Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 6xAAA NiMH or NiCad charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can, but discharging a 9V battery into some cells seems pretty pointless. The 9V battery will be flat before the NiCads even reach half charge.

just jack the 9v, assuming its a alkaline straight into your nimh pack, maybe a blocking diode to prevent back charging... no resistor required... 9v's have such a low mah rating and high internal resistance, your external resistor would just be redundant.

but like Hero points out, it is pointless, since a 9v doesn't contain enough energy to recharge those larger cells.

figure 9v * 300 mAh = 2.7 w/h ... and the aaa pack might be 7.2v * 650 mAh = 4.68 w/h - not even close!

It's not a 9V battery, it's a 9V wall wart. I've seen simple current limiters using a LM317 but I was hoping to simply use a small resistor. Not too worried about the NiCads as they are only 50c each at the dollar store. Using 6 of them to power my ICD2 clone & trainer. 300mah @ 1.25v

There is one variable that may cause problems. The typical 9V wall wart is unregulated so the the voltage output may be quite a bit higher than 9V with a small load.
I have had excellent results of charging Ni-Cad and Ni-Mh batteries with a charge current of 0.095C or less. In your case 300 x .095 = 28.5 Ma.
If you figure the wall wart may be at 12V and the batteries are near 1V when discharged you could use a 240 ohm resistor. (12-6)/.025 = 240

Nicads are pretty tolerant of overcharge but NIMH are not. You will get better life out of your NIMHs if you charge them at a rate of apx 0.5-1C and terminate on the negative slope of cell voltage change. You can also terminate on cell temperature rise. NIMHs do not take a slow charge very well (Nicads are OK at 0.1C) and their lifespan will be shorter as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back