Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 12F683 program in Oshonsoft Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi E,

As for price comparison, I think they come out very similar, although on a quick check the ATtiny is $2.00 where the 12F683 is 50P. [On second check I find that the ATtiny is made by Microchip £1.50. I bet they are the same as the 12F, but marketed for Arduinoists.
I will also point out that there are many other makes of Micro-controller.

Right let's make a movie!
Are you ready for your close up:angelic:
C.
It is not 12F.
Attiny is an AVR processor with program memory from 2k up, usually in 8 pin DIP package.

It is not 12F.
Attiny is an AVR processor with program memory from 2k up, usually in 8 pin DIP package.
Hi J,
Correct! this is what we meant by comparison, between AVR (ATtiny) and Microchip (12F). They are similarly priced.
C.

Hi C
Don't forget Oshonsoft also has an AVR compiler. I use PICs or AVRs depending which best suits what I'm trying to do. There are a few noticeable differences like 0=Input and 1=Output also no TRIS just DDR (direction), another difference is that configuration (MCLR,BODEN etc) is set onto the chip not part of the program as with the PIC. After you've figured that out it's pretty much the same. Oshonsoft has lots of support for older 16 bit processors, IMO that's not such a bad thing for newbies because the chips are cheap, Cheap as Chips?
You can think of the Arduino as a development board that allows AVRs to be programmed so it's pretty much the same as programming a PIC/AVR in circuit with a PICIT2/3 or AVR programmer. I've never used anArduino that's just based upon what I've seen so my analogy may not be 100%
This forum has both professional and amateur members who have totally different viewpoints.
8 bit suits me fine and I doubt if I'll ever move to 16 bit, cheap chips also suits me just fine. When I first started, if I made a mistake and destroyed the Micro, the loss of £1-3 didn't put me in need of psychiatric help! Same goes for through hole technology, I do use some 1206 SMDs but I can't see anything smaller ;-)
I also buy lots of stuff on Ebay because it's cheap. I've only had a few bad items (DS18B20) so now I do stick to known suppliers.
Professionals are unlikely to share this viewpoint and my guess is they won't trust Ebay, that said where does Farnell/RS/Rapid much of it's stuff from? But at least you have some comeback with them, China is a black hole :)

I like Oshonsoft too but I am dissapointed with the latest developments, of the 3 or 4 Basic Compilers I tried I liked Oshonsoft best and...my favorite word it's cheap!

Hi C
Don't forget Oshonsoft also has an AVR compiler. I use PICs or AVRs depending which best suits what I'm trying to do. There are a few noticeable differences like 0=Input and 1=Output also no TRIS just DDR (direction), another difference is that configuration (MCLR,BODEN etc) is set onto the chip not part of the program as with the PIC. After you've figured that out it's pretty much the same. Oshonsoft has lots of support for older 16 bit processors, IMO that's not such a bad thing for newbies because the chips are cheap, Cheap as Chips?
You can think of the Arduino as a development board that allows AVRs to be programmed so it's pretty much the same as programming a PIC/AVR in circuit with a PICIT2/3 or AVR programmer. I've never used anArduino that's just based upon what I've seen so my analogy may not be 100%
This forum has both professional and amateur members who have totally different viewpoints.
8 bit suits me fine and I doubt if I'll ever move to 16 bit, cheap chips also suits me just fine. When I first started, if I made a mistake and destroyed the Micro, the loss of £1-3 didn't put me in need of psychiatric help! Same goes for through hole technology, I do use some 1206 SMDs but I can't see anything smaller ;-)
I also buy lots of stuff on Ebay because it's cheap. I've only had a few bad items (DS18B20) so now I do stick to known suppliers.
Professionals are unlikely to share this viewpoint and my guess is they won't trust Ebay, that said where does Farnell/RS/Rapid much of it's stuff from? But at least you have some comeback with them, China is a black hole :)

I like Oshonsoft too but I am dissapointed with the latest developments, of the 3 or 4 Basic Compilers I tried I liked Oshonsoft best and...my favorite word it's cheap!
Hi S,
Pretty well my thoughts also.
I wanted to use an ATMEGA chip for one of my latest projects, but it wasn't properly supported by Oshonsoft, which was a pity.
I agree that Oshonsoft has holes in it, and I've needed special ASM sections written for me to get round the problem (Much appreciated). From what I understand Oshonsoft is being worked on, and hopefully those holes, plus later PICs will be better supported.
C.

Hi S,
Pretty well my thoughts also.
I wanted to use an ATMEGA chip for one of my latest projects, but it wasn't properly supported by Oshonsoft, which was a pity.
I agree that Oshonsoft has holes in it, and I've needed special ASM sections written for me to get round the problem (Much appreciated). From what I understand Oshonsoft is being worked on, and hopefully those holes, plus later PICs will be better supported.
C.
I have figured out how to use ADC on an AtMega 328P using Direct Addressing. You just insert it as ASM. If it's of any use to you just ask and I'll par the program down just to the ADC bits only. I'll super populate it with comments, I'm quite good with comments anyway because 6 months after I've done something it's usually a mystery again. I'm often amazed at how clever I was 6 months ago ;-)
I used ADC in my program for a 4 channel telescope auto dew heater, it has 3 x Max7221 and 24 seven segment LEDs all running with one AT328P so it's gigantic!
I did try PWM but couldn't get that to work and since I don't use that method, (I use a very slow manual PWM to control the heaters), I haven't tried since.
I think those two and Serial Send and Receive are all that's missing from AVR.
As I said in another post I'm suprised Vlad hasn't fixed it, I would have though it relatively easy for a programmer of his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back