Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

flemmard

Hi,
How do i drive 9v from 5v ? My microcontroller outputs 5v , but i wish to drive a DC brushless fan which needs 9v for smooth running.
Thanks

flemmard said:
Hi,
How do i drive 9v from 5v ? My microcontroller outputs 5v , but i wish to drive a DC brushless fan which needs 9v for smooth running.
Thanks

Hi,
Choose the T1 transistor to suit the motor current.

Whats the motor spec?

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
Hi,
Choose the T1 transistor to suit the motor current.

Whats the motor spec?

I'm using bi directional Dc motor circuit as attached here !
Thanks

Attachments

• bi_dir.JPG
    bi_dir.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 178
flemmard said:
I'm using bi directional Dc motor circuit as attached here !
Thanks

hi,
I'll download the LM298N spec sheet.

I would expect that +Vs would be at the motor volts of +9V and pins# 10/12
to be driven by logic +5V levels.

I will check this and get back to you.

EDIT: The datasheet says pins# 10/12 are TTL compatible inputs and the +9V should goto pin#4

Last edited:
Whether Flemmaed has a 9V supply or his post is for a 9V output from a 5V supply?

he may perhaps pick up 12V supply and regulate it to 9V by 7809 and any darlington like TIP transistor can drive the Fan with logic output.

Look at the datasheet for the L298 motor driver.
1) It has a 5v supply (VSS) for its logic and up to 46V supply (VS) for the motor.
2) It has an output voltage loss of 3.2V max with a 1A load and it increases to a loss of 4.9V max with a 2A load.

So you will need much more than 9V input for 9V output.

Sure..

flemmard said:
Hi,
Thanks

very simple sir...

Not only 9 volts but even 12 volts or above you can drive..

No need for getting into Difficult transistors or Op amps..

use ULN2803 or ULN2003 easily available in the markets.. at 20 rupees.. ( 50 cents ) ..

here's the circuit diagram.. in the thumbnails..

But, Sir one thing.. the output is sinking ( zero ) when the input is 1 to this IC..

Regards,

Simran..:)

Attachments

• Copy%20o3.gif
    Copy%20o3.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 176
  • BULN.gif
    BULN.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 184
Simple to use..

This IC is simple to use..

it contains only DARLINGTON PAIRS that can be used for sinking of current at corresponding pin when the input is one at Left hand side..

In the right thumbnail.. you can see the internal structure of this IC..

Regards,

Simran..:)

hi simran,
The OP has an LM298N 'H bridge' driver which he wants to use as PWM and/or bi-directional motor driver.

The explanation of the UL series is interesting, but it does not help the original enquiry.

Regards

flemmard said:
Hi,
Thanks
whether it is 'drive' or 'derive'
Flemmard may please come out giving clarification.

mvs sarma said:

Good point Sarma!:)

mvs sarma said:

I have 5V output from my PIC.I need to run my 9v DC motor using that output.How do i do that?

Thanks

According to your diagram and the data sheet for L298N, all you have to do is connect 9v to VS, 5v to Vss. Connect the motor as in your diagram. Connect pin 10 and 12 to the port pins of your PIC. And write codes to the port to switch port to 1 or 0 according to the truth table in your diagram. And that's it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

:)

flemmard said:
I have 5V output from my PIC.I need to run my 9v DC motor using that output.How do i do that?

Thanks

Now you are little more clear to us. you may also take 12V from the same PC if available , use 7809 and thus derive (V DC for your needs. put a suitable heatsink for the 7809 regulator.

Hope this serves your purpose.

Otherwise you can derive 9V from %V by using step up converter mode of MC34063 but i am not sure it may deliver the needed load current???

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back