Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Silly question about wire gauge and wire thickness, insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure where to post this question, and it is quite embarrassing.

I simply want to buy a generic wire for hobbyist projects that has an outer diameter (including insulation) of 1.25 mm, and one with 2.00 mm outer diameter (again including insulation). This will be used for a sensor (Intake Air Temperature) in a car.

However, wire thickness is usually measured in wire gauge, which doesn't seem to count the insulation. I'm also assuming that different wire gauge will typically have different thickness of the insulation, and perhaps different properties for different applications.

I don't even know what to search for, if I want to find something like this on e.g. eBay, namely a wire which has a total diameter of 1.25 mm which comes pre-made with the insulation, what should I search for?

In the past I've simply salvaged wire from various broken devices and used that, but now I need something a bit more specific, and it is the first time I've encountered this trivial problem (and I'm definitely not a professional)!

Last edited:
Actually, I did do a quick search and came up with this https://general-cable.dcatalog.com/v/Electronics/#page=177 catalog page.

The OD is the OD of the wire+2x insulation. You can check by looking at an AWG table. The diameter + 2x (the insulation thickness) is the OD of the wire for 22 AWG. The one I checked.

I knew Carrol was a brand of wire.

ebay may not have all of the specs. There are wire types such as "hook-up". The temperature range might mean PTFE (Teflon) or silicone/ Silicone is high temperatire and high voltage. You won;t be able to search for it directly.

So, temperature, voltage, abrasion determines the insulation and the voltage rating determines it's thickness.

You may get like wires if they have the same UL classification and awg.

If you don't know what you are lookng for, I suggest using the Digikey search to figure out what exists and then finding something similar from whatever supplier you want from there. Don't forget to specify solid or stranded...that's one of the more important things.

"Hook-up WIre" is the term (or at least one of the terms) for the plainest possible wire you can get. The single-conductor, single simple insulation stuff that you are probably thinking of.

There are standard-ish insulation thicknesses, but it varies depending on what type of insulation is actually being used. PVC is the common, inexpensive one. Silicone is the common high temperature/high current/flexible one, and then there's a crapload of other exotic stuff.

It's sort of a losing proposition to search for wire based on the combined diameter of insulation and conductor. Determine what currents you want so you know what AWG you want, then search for that AWG in the insulation type you are looking for. Very few (possibly no one) categorizes it it that way since it's unimportant most of the time compared to other factors.

If you know the wire diameter you want (that is, conductor diameter without insulation), google an AWG table and find the equivalent AWG number.

The "common" small diameter wire is 22AWG and the typical 22AWG PVC insulated wire will handle up to 8A at room temperature. That's plenty of current capability and then some for things like sensors. You could probably get away with 24AWG in most cases for things like that. You want stranded wire for environments with vibration like a car. If it's under the hood or near engine heat then you definitely want higher temperature insulation like silicone.

Last edited:
If it's in a car then just get the standard multi strand wire they sell in auto shops.

Mike.

The generic name is Hook-up Wire, or control wire, there are two types typcally used in industry, TEW/MTW which has a fairly thick insulation, I prefer TR64 which has much thinner insulation for a given wire gauge. Used in a bundle, it takes up fare less room.
If you just want a small selection, a visit to an self-strip auto wrecker should provide a harness or two.
Max.

I've also heard some people refer to it as "wire".

Normal design practice is to choose conductor diameter based on the current carrying requirements, and insulation material and thickness on the voltage.

Normal design practice is to choose conductor diameter based on the current carrying requirements, and insulation material and thickness on the voltage.

Thread Starter knows that, that is why he acknowledged his question as being "silly" in the title and recognized his request as not the usual way of sizing wire in his finest post.

Intuition tells me he is trying to perfectly fit them into pre-existing holes in his enclosure or bulkhead fitting.

That is what I like about TR64, it has the same insulation rating as TEW etc, 600v but much thinner insulation.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back