Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal frequency and range ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

hi

someone said in this forum that the 900MHz cordless phones have a greater range than the 2.4GHz phones. why is that so?? i know that by increasing the signal frequency more data can be transmitted per second. but does that reduce the range ?????

simillarly in computers there were two protocols for wireless networking i.e. IEEE 802.11a and IEEE 802.11b. The 802.11a transmitted data on the 2.4GHz band and i the 802.11b transmitted data on a frequency less than 2.4GHz (i cant remember what it was). the 802.11a had a reduced range as compared to the 802.11b but had a greater bandwidth. then came along 802.11g whose range and bandwidth was between the a and b technologies.

so my question is that does the range decrease when u increase the frequency and hence bandwidth?? if yes, why????

samcheetah said:
so is there any need to transmit voice data on the 2.4GHz band. i dont think voice requires a greater bandwidth. in my view the bandwidth offered when using the 900MHz band is sufficient for voice. so why do they make those 2.4GHz phones.

Because of the need for more space, the more people who use the phones, the less space there is available - hence multi-band phones and small cell sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back