Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Side Markers & Indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam_randell

Hi Guys, first post!

I have US spec wheel arch trims on my MINI which have side lights in them. I have them wired up to the side lights currently but I want to also wire them to the indicators.

So basically I want:

a) when not indicating you want the wheel arch lights to come on if the sidelights are on...

b) when side lights are off but you are indicating you want the wheel arch lights to flash with the indicators..

c) the indicators to turn off to flash until the indicating has finished then return back on with the side lights

It is a 5W 501 bulb

If anyone has any ideas on how this can be achieved please let me know

Thanks in advance!!

Here is an approach. You have two signals, Turn (red trace, which is at +12V when the turn signal is on), and Side (green trace, which is at +12V when the side marker lights are on).

If you connected an XOR gate to those two signals as shown in the "conceptual model", you get the output V(Lamp), blue trace, which mostly does what you asked for. When the side lights are off, the wheel-well lamp follows the turn signal. When the side lights are on, the wheel-well lamp is on during the time when the turn signal is off. Note that leaves the wheel-well lights on after the flashers are cancelled, as shown after 13.5sec in the simulation.

The circuit shown is a "power XOR gate" which works directly with no logic gates. R1 are your wheel-well lamps wired in parallel. The PFETs M1 and M2 have to pass the wheel-well lamp currents, and so do the Schottky diodes, D1 and D2. The parts are not critical, but should have voltage ratings of >30V. The diodes will dissipate some heat, so should be mounted on a suitable heatsink. The PFETs should have an on-resistance of <50mΩ with a gate drive of -10V

Attachments

• DF72a.jpg
    DF72a.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 342
thats for the detailed answer! I am not too experienced with circuits so dont fully understand.

What do i need to get to make this work?

It's difficult to figure it out on your own. I suggest you hire a professional electrician for the repairs. It can be completely fixed and at the same time you could ask directly about the wirings that you should be familiar with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back