Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should we employ the services of a cable assembly company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,

We have a very difficult connection problem with our electronics.

We need to connect from a 4 Amp current source to a bank of LEDs (46V across the LED bank which comprises parallel LEDs ) in a big light. The LEDs are mounted on small MCPCBs and thus it is difficult to solder big connectors to the MCPCB. The MCPCB is very small and the LEDs are mounted next to each other to assure good thermal coupling. It is also a slightly moveable light, and so we need the cables (wires) to be malleable and thin. Therefore, we are paralleling multiple 26AWG wires, -however, it is not a good solution, and we are not derating the connector senough (Molex picoblade 1.25mm pitch)

Supposing we contact an interconnection company such as Contour.uk.com
https://www.contour.uk.com/

They will be better qualified than us to specify a suitable cable assembly with suitable connectors, but what will they ask for in terms of money? I mean, once they’ve told us which cable and connector to use, what’s to stop us from just using it and not paying them anything? So I guess I am asking, “how do companies like contour.uk.com make money?
(We don’t want to ask contour this question as its not an “appropriate” question to ask a company)

Paralleling contacts is NOT a good idea. The picoblade connectors are for thin wire, that for sure. To thin for my tastes. Both JST and Molex has connectors designed for LED's. Have you looked into them.

I think it would be appropriate to ask Molex or JST for a suggestion,

However, it might be appropriate to ask the interconnection company for if there is a chance that you might use them. Be prepared to be able to answer their questions: Volume, frequency, cost, MOQ etc.

So, why not: Hi, I just learned or your company. We are having a bit of a problem finding a suitable connector for: . We're looking at the following volumes and schedules.
Currently we are doing this (_,,,) and it isn't working out. What might you be able to offer?

PARALLELING CONTACTORS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT TO DO...BUT WE HAVE TO , BECAUSE THE THICKER SINGLE CONNECTOR SOLUTION IS NOT MALLEABLE ENOUGH...........................(sorry, im just going to kill myself for the capitals....then find out the shortcut keys which converts the above to lower case.....it always used to be "ALT 2")

Thanks, that certainly Is out of the box...I always thought litz was just for high frequencies and skin effect.....so, that would solve it, a piece of litz wire about 12 cm long that can carry 4 Amps....and then a connector from the PCB to the MCPCB...and that's where we are stuck....we can't fit big connectors on the MCPCB, and so the single 4 amp cable and its crimp is going to be too big........I am sure you are just as aware as I am that attaching connectors, especially large ones, to MCPCB, is not easy.

I have worked in industry for 40 years it is common practice to ask other companies to quote you a price on a certain job. You call and talk to one of the engineers. He will want drawings. You email the drawings and he may call you to ask questions. I would always need to visit the company in person to talk to the engineers and see what they have in mind. They will tell me and show me their ideas and we would talk about what we think will work best. After we come up with the best solution for this job I leave and return to my job. In a few days they will call and or email a quote for the job. Now it is up to me what to do. If I have 3 companies quote the job they do not all always have the exact same identical idea how to do the job. I very often see which quote is best and that is the one I go with. If you want to do it yourself now you know how. Often the company that quoted you the price can do it cheaper and better because that is what they do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back