Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should the sig stay or go?

Should the current sig be removed?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickster

Most Helpful Member
Hi folks.

A simple poll really - should the current sig stay or go?

I know of 2 probable votes for it to go thus far...

You don't have to explain anything but are welcome to do so if you feel the need.

I'm also open to suggestions for a new one.

:)

EDIT: The poll is non-public, so voters and their choice will not be displayed.

Last edited:
I agree with Nigel. Unacceptable. If you want that kind of immature stuff go to slashdot. That crap is never moderated.

LOL, I didn't even get to see it. Sexist, racist, nationalist? Inquiring minds want to know.

None of the above.

:mad: Just typed out a very lengthy explanation as to why I initially added the sig some 3 or 4 months ago, but lost it by inadvertently 'glancing' the back button on this stupid MS laser mouse. I really don't feel like typing it all again, so a simplified version follows:

At the time the sig was added, there was quite a bit of newbie-bashing going on... bashing by some new technologically-experienced, but also not-long-established members. Bashing of ideas/projects/coding/schematics etc, without offering any form of help.

We all come here voluntarily, usually to try and help out where our own experience allows and maybe learn something from the posts/ideas/projects/coding/schematics of others. We don't come here to simply jump on, or attack someone for a lack of understanding and decline to offer any form of help, which would aid in reversing that lack of understanding.

The sig was a protest to those who preferred only to point out negatives.

Throughout most of my employment to date (not electronics industry related), I have held responsible positions of guiding trainees toward achieving, but more importantly to me, surpassing, the necessary standards for certification.

Some trainees have been totally green, others have previously been guided by colleagues. Guess what each have in common.... their conceptual understanding has never been flatly dismissed and undermined by any form of negativity. Each one has been given ample opportunity to discuss why they have reached a diagnostic conclusion in a certain situation, the path that led them to that particular conclusion and pointers to any pertinent reference text that serves to correct any erroneous results attained, if applicable.

If they 'just don't get it' initially, the steps are progressively broken down further into smaller ones until you actually see the light switch on in their eyes.

I taught one particularly very bright young guy some 15 years ago. A very attentive, but anassuming and seemingly sheepish guy, one not familiar and somewhat initially fearful of the equipment we used. But at every step during any diagnosis, he peered over a shoulder.... he simply watched, digested, and mentally stored every step. And then taught himself so much more from exploring the equipment during his own personal time and finding it's true diagnostic capabilities for himself.

Throughout my time on this wonderful earth, I have never felt it necessary to slag off another member's contribution to this website. On the contrary, however strange it may appear to someone else, another member's idea/project etc., deserves a chance to achieve fruition.

I may digress though...

The thread where the sig debate originated is here:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/arrrrrrgh-cant-remember-the-official-name.95729/

FYI, The sig originally read something along the lines of "If you don't have something productive to offer....." and an acronym was attached at the end. It was a well-known acronym - one directing someone to keep their mouth closed....

Thats what this is all about? :(

Far worse things get passed right over around here every single day! ;)

Thats what this is all about? :(

Far worse things get passed right over around here every single day! ;)

Indeed, and if you search the particular acronym, there are a dozen examples....contained within threads including my own posts, and also recited by some of our more respected long-term members. ;) Past discretions should not be punished though...

If you care to look more deeply, there are also 'asterisked' words which leave less to the imagination than an acronym.... by Mods too ;)

I don't mind being censored, but there has to be some sort of balancing of the bubble in the spirit level - 0.5 degrees to the left equals 0.5 degrees to the right too... correct?

I sort of wish admin would let us give a feed back rating on their posts.
Not to be mean or anything but it would give a fair reference as to how the forum community rates its host. ;)

To bad BigKim100 was booted permanently. He loved these kind of threads! :D

Shyte!

I disagree on this one. Combine most members, including mine, little infractions together and some of us may get a permanent booting! :eek:

And besides if I got away with it once... shush, be quiet, dont say a word, no see no problem, blind eye deaf ear, it never happened. ;)

If you gone and done something you knew was wrong and ain't willing to stand by it, perhaps you shouldn't have gone and done it in the first place.:p

I disagree on this one. Combine most members, including mine, little infractions together and some of us may get a permanent booting! :eek:

That's life. If someone's a real bother, boot him permanently. It's not jail. Posting is not a human right. Banning is a permanent solution to remove a headache for the moderators, unless the moderators enjoy endlessly babysitting volatile posters.

Last edited:
I sort of wish admin would let us give a feed back rating on their posts.
Well there's the reputation button but I don't think the big brother administrator would appriciate negative reputation.:D

And besides if I got away with it once... shush, be quiet, dont say a word, no see no problem, blind eye deaf ear, it never happened. ;)
So you have an infraction, join the club I have three!

FYI, The sig originally read something along the lines of "If you don't have something productive to offer....." and an acronym was attached at the end. It was a well-known acronym - one directing someone to keep their mouth closed....

Was that STFU, meaning Shut The Flamingheck Up?:D

Well there's the reputation button but I don't think the big brother administrator would appreciate negative reputation.:D

Admin has NA beside it. Diplomatic immunity I guess? :D:p

Not that I had any reason so far to give bad rep to them. I like the site.

Its far better than many! If it wasn't I would have bailed out long ago! ;)

We're not performing brain surgery nor launching interplanetary probes. It's just a sig .... get over it and come up with another one to replace it, that doesn't take you down the same dumb road. Putting forth a poll on the subject is needless IMHO. I'm confident that Admin took the proper measures on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back