Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I buy this

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICMICRO

I am trying to make my own PCB, so I need a drill. I won't be making big and many, so I thought, of some cheap, small hand drill like this may work
**broken link removed**
Has any body used such drill? What are the chances of it working?

Hi.

You need a stationary drill with a holder for both drill and pcb card. I've struggled with cheap drills like that, only bigger models. What happends is that the end of the drill won't stay steady so it's hard to get a nice round hole to be excactly where you want.

You can buy miniature drill presses for about $20. I got one from the hardware store when I saw it in the junk mail.

Then a small DC high-speed "supatool" or something to use as the drill. Another $20 or so. :)

The feedback left by those who bought it is not explicit but everyone appear to be satisfied.
At this price and with free shipping you don't have much to loose other than the time it will take to get to you.

Mike

In you're going to use carbide bits (you'd better be using carbide bits), there's NOTHING that you can do with a hand-held drill. You MUST use a drill press, the smaller, the better. Best of all that I've used is a Dremel tool mounted in their drill press stand using collets and NOT a 3-jaw chuck. Th idea is to use a system with the least amount of "play" and vibration. As nice as my big floor-mounted machinists' drill press is, it isn't worh a crap for teensy carbide bits, especially at the high RPMs where you want to be using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back