Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shot Myself in the Foot - AB Switch Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

It seems I have shot myself in the foot.
I had this bright idea I could eliminate a lot of cables and feed one KVM switch to another and get access to all my computers.
This would have worked except that the output of the KVMs divides the keyboard and mouse into two circuits.
The KVMs require the mouse and keyboard inputs to be a combo usb.

This is what I need to accomplish.

KKK2.jpg

The best way for me to do this, I think, would be an AB switch.
Is that something I could build myself?
Ideas on how I would do it?

Another not so desirable way for my situation would be to make a usb keyboard and mouse to combo cable. (Can this be done?)

Will a hub effectively combine the mouse and keyboard into 1 USB connector that will work with your KVM unit? Just a suggestion as I don't know the answer but worth a try.

Mike.

Will a hub effectively combine the mouse and keyboard into 1 USB connector that will work with your KVM unit? Just a suggestion as I don't know the answer but worth a try.

Mike.
I do not think this will work. I see some usb units that will separate but not combine.
Besides, I do not want to do it this way except as a last resort.

Some KVMs will cascade but cost is, of course, a factor.
I am trying to work with what I have.
Most AB switches are getting poor reviews and will not carry screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 or more.

Building may be my only option for price and quality. Time wise not efficient, however.

I see some usb units that will separate but not combine.
If I plug a mouse and keyboard into a hub then they become one USB connector and only require 1 connector in the computer. Isn't this combining the signals?

Mike.

It seems I have shot myself in the foot.
I had this bright idea I could eliminate a lot of cables and feed one KVM switch to another and get access to all my computers.
This would have worked except that the output of the KVMs divides the keyboard and mouse into two circuits.
The KVMs require the mouse and keyboard inputs to be a combo usb.

This is what I need to accomplish.

View attachment 124351

The best way for me to do this, I think, would be an AB switch.
Is that something I could build myself?
Ideas on how I would do it?

Another not so desirable way for my situation would be to make a usb keyboard and mouse to combo cable. (Can this be done?)

Why are there multiple KVMs?
Are the devices in close proximity to each other....in the same room?
Are these "Windows" computers? is RDP an option?

Why are there multiple KVMs?
Are the devices in close proximity to each other....in the same room?
Are these "Windows" computers? is RDP an option?

Very Good Question.

There are two Computer Banks. One is next to me and the other is on the floor below.
To further complicate things they are different OSes.
Win 98SE, Win 7, Win 10, and Linux.
Screen resolution also becomes a problem especially with the Win 98SE where a drawing program is
used and a circle will appear as an oval without monitor adjustment.

The KVMs I have are not cascadable. RDP in some cases is an option and is used.

Mike suggested a USB Hub, but in this case I do not want to go that way.
Long story short, an AB Switch for each Bank will do for the moment and we can look for a better setup in the future.

Very Good Question.

There are two Computer Banks. One is next to me and the other is on the floor below.
To further complicate things they are different OSes.
Win 98SE, Win 7, Win 10, and Linux.
Screen resolution also becomes a problem especially with the Win 98SE where a drawing program is
used and a circle will appear as an oval without monitor adjustment.

The KVMs I have are not cascadable. RDP in some cases is an option and is used.

Mike suggested a USB Hub, but in this case I do not want to go that way.
Long story short, an AB Switch for each Bank will do for the moment and we can look for a better setup in the future.

hmm...interesting.

I think any hardware solution is going to be somewhat expensive. USB won’t go very far...even with a hub. However, I’ve used some really long video cables before.

ifyour computers are on a network...RDP is supported on all the OS’s you mentioned.

If I plug a mouse and keyboard into a hub then they become one USB connector and only require 1 connector in the computer. Isn't this combining the signals?

Mike.

Change of plans.

Only need a two port hub. Two IN and One OUT.
Mike? Have you tested this out?
What kind of hub should I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back