Short high current burst from 9v batt

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvanders

So I'm in the process of building a rocketry altimeter for fun. I used to do a bunch of high power rocketry stuff as a kid out in the Anza Borrego desert. Tons of fun and all that. One thing that I never really got around to playing with was altimeters.

Now that I've got a fair bit of electronics knowledge under my belt I thought I'd take a crack at designing my own. I've got the microcontroller, accelerometer and pressure sensors figured out. Data logging to a flash chip is straight forward enough. One thing I don't have a ton of experience with is blowing the ejection charge in a reliable manner.

Usually on the altimeters we'd use there's one charge blown at the top for a drogue chute and the one at 1,500-500ft for the main chute. Ideally I'd like to be able to pre-charge some high volume capacitors from a single 9v battery and provide enough amperage that I'm sure they'll fire. A common problem we'd encounter is that the drogue would fire fine but then the battery would be too weak to provide current for the main after a couple uses.

My current idea is to use a single boost step-up dc/dc converter to step 9V to 25V and store that in a pair of 470uF Aluminum-Elec caps and then use a transistor to control discharge. I simulated this in SPICE and I get about 500ma for ~100ms which should be enough, however I was wondering if anyone knew of a better way to provide a short high current burst. Usually when we fire igniters on the ground it's from a 12v car battery or similar.

How about just paralleling the 9V battery with a supercapacitor? Since the voltage rating seems to be shy of 9V, you may have to put two in series.

The problem with supercaps is they usually have a pretty high ESR which would be bad for a quick pulse.

I did a fair bit more googling online and it looks like most people go with lipo or e-match solution which is kind of a shame. I'd really like it to be a more off the shelf solution that can use 9v battery and standard igniter.

After doing a bit more digging it looks like the standard Estes igniter is 0.8 Ohms and requires about 4.5 amps for 1/10th of a second. I think that's going to be out of the range of charged caps without going really high voltage.

Scratch my above post, I was doing some digging around digikey and came across this. 1.5F, 70mOhm ESR only 5V though.

Putting it through SPICE gives me a solid 5A with an 0.8Ohm load, looks like it might be closer to what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…