Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shocked by high voltage! whats your volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas uses lethal injection, takes a fairly long time (aren't they usually pronounced dead 15-45 minutes after injection?). I think one state in the south still has the chair, but I can't remember which.

well i am currently building a marx generator, so i think worse is still coming:D

Lol stand far back before turning it on lol

Well hank, what do they execute people with? I think he is talking about death by poetry :)

Sigh... I can't believe I'm getting drawn into this morbid conversation. If there's been any doubt about my opinion on the issue: capital punishment is wrong.

Nebraska still has only the chair, and many states still have the chair as an option (condemned person's choice). It takes much longer than three seconds to die by lethal injection. Dealing with the ethics of capital punishment, especially in a country where it's gained public approval momentum, is a tough row to hoe. Glorifying death is the easy way out, but death in any form should be avoided.

The iidea that the point of a criminal justice system is to punish offenders is a very old and useless idea. Restitution is the goal, not retribution. There's an old cliche that goes, "The best revenge is living well," and I think those who go questing for a pound of flesh would better themselves by remembering that.

You're right, Souper man. It's very costly to detain as many prisoners as the U.S., so if I were you I'd start asking why you're detaining so many, and what the results of detaining them are. I think you'll find that the solution of putting those prisoners in the ground will amount to racial genocide, and I just can't see the majority of Americans allowing the criminal justice system to deal with things that way.

Last edited:
Hank Fletcher said:
Sigh... I can't believe I'm getting drawn into this morbid conversation. If there's been any doubt about my opinion on the issue: capital punishment is wrong.

Nebraska still has only the chair, and many states still have the chair as an option (condemned person's choice). It takes much longer than three seconds to die by lethal injection. Dealing with the ethics of capital punishment, especially in a country where it's gained public approval momentum, is a tough row to hoe. Glorifying death is the easy way out, but death in any form should be avoided.

The iidea that the point of a criminal justice system is to punish offenders is a very old and useless idea. Restitution is the goal, not retribution. There's an old cliche that goes, "The best revenge is living well," and I think those who go questing for a pound of flesh would better themselves by remembering that.

You're right, Souper man. It's very costly to detain as many prisoners as the U.S., so if I were you I'd start asking why you're detaining so many, and what the results of detaining them are. I think you'll find that the solution of putting those prisoners in the ground will amount to racial genocide, and I just can't see the majority of Americans allowing the criminal justice system to deal with things that way.

The 3rd paragraph states that you're detaining so many. Really though where do you get off saying racial genocide because we are executing major felonists? Would you rather have a rapist sit in jail for the rest of his life or be severely punished by death. the 3 sec was a exaggeration of the execution process. In your posts, try not to slander or disrespect other nationalities. Also, if you do not punish them but try to "heal them", they may keep those criminal ideals, but unlike killing them, they dont repeat the crime or keep their ideals. "Dead men cant talk"...

Other than that, lets try to keep this thread back on track!

Hank Fletcher said:
I would agree but I would like to add that rehabilitation of offenders should be the prime goal nut punishing them.

To be honest, in theory if someone is genuinely repentant for whatever they have done wrong and there is no chance that they will re-offend then they should be released without question. I would agree even more so if they can put right what they've done wrong.

I would rather the rapist be given a choice between castration and life in prison. If he's innocent then if he has any sense then he'll opt for prison so he can prove his innocent on appeal. He could also choose chemical castration, so he could be tagged and providing he has an injection as often as is necessary. This would of course depend on the reason why he committed the offence and his previous history.

Hero999 said:
I would agree but I would like to add that rehabilitation of offenders should be the prime goal nut punishing them.

To be honest, in theory if someone is genuinely repentant for whatever they have done wrong and there is no chance that they will re-offend then they should be released without question. I would agree even more so if they can put right what they've done wrong.

Unfortunately that's just the kind of "do gooder" attitude that has got the world in the shape it's in! - there are some convicted criminals who will never re-offend - but they are very much in the minority.

I would rather the rapist be given a choice between castration and life in prison. If he's innocent then if he has any sense then he'll opt for prison so he can prove his innocent on appeal. He could also choose chemical castration, so he could be tagged and providing he has an injection as often as is necessary. This would of course depend on the reason why he committed the offence and his previous history.

Tagging doesn't work - and never has!.

A case a friend of mine knows (as he lives near by) a convicted criminal who is tagged and released - the first night out he simply removed the tag and goes out. As a result he's dragged back before the judge, who says "naughtly boy!, don't do it again" and sends him back home re-tagged. He does the same again, with the same result - third time he does it the judge really tells him off and fines him 50 pence or so. What a complete waste of time! - any violation of the tagging should be immediate reimprisonment with all parole cancelled!.

My feelings on rape are if a bloke is guilty beyond doubt the victims family should have 1/2 an hour in the jail cell alone so they can serve justice....

Last summer over here we had a seial arsonist setting fires on private farms, over 21 fires in 3 days resulted in a vigilanty squard of us locals hunting for him/it. The local cops arranged a town meeting saying vigilanty justice is a crime and someone stood up and said that catching the arsonist putting a noose around his neck and getting him to stand on a plastic bucket was reasonable restraint. The cop responded saying as long as you didnt kick the bucket before we arrive we would condone it on this occasion. So why bother with a so-called justice system that rewards the crimanial and hurts the victim where by using reasonable restraint isnt against the law but just make sure you scare the bejesus out of the perpretrator.

Just my thoughts

Cheers Bryan :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
Unfortunately that's just the kind of "do gooder" attitude that has got the world in the shape it's in! - there are some convicted criminals who will never re-offend - but they are very much in the minority.
I know I was being idealistic, in reality it isn't that simple.

That's because they go into prision and come out even worse.

The main reason is because people get trapped into a cycle of offending. Imagine you're a shop lifter, no one will give you a job because you have a criminal record so you're pretty much locked into it. Of course you could live off benifits but you'd be really bored with nothing else to fill your day apart from the temptation of offending.

Drugs are realy the major factor for re-offending, all I can say is it's best to get them off drugs then get them jobs. There are plenty of jobs a shoplifter could do, like empty bins or sweap the streets as long as there isn't the temptation of re-offending I don't see the problem. As the offence doesn't prevent someone from doing the job in question then a criminal record should not prevent you from getting a job.

Tagging doesn't work - and never has!.

A case a friend of mine knows (as he lives near by) a convicted criminal who is tagged and released - the first night out he simply removed the tag and goes out. As a result he's dragged back before the judge, who says "naughtly boy!, don't do it again" and sends him back home re-tagged. He does the same again, with the same result - third time he does it the judge really tells him off and fines him 50 pence or so. What a complete waste of time! - any violation of the tagging should be immediate reimprisonment with all parole cancelled!.
I would agree but that's probably because it isn't applied to the right offenders.

However there must be a way to make a tag so tough it can't be removed without amputating a limb.

Also note that not all paedophiles actually want to be that way, many of them want to change but they can't. Castration would kill their sex drive and therefore effectively cure them of their condition and it's pretty stupid that it isn't offered as a means of treatment.

woop, there we go 55 kv:D

Hmm, i haven't been shocked by much...

1) bar-b-que starter (don't know how many volts)
2) Engine Coil
3) 300v capacitor

That is about it... No mains power yet... don't plan on it either... :D

Marks256 said:
1) bar-b-que starter (don't know how many volts)
2) Engine Coil
3) 300v capacitor

If it was one of those round piezo ignitors that is usually over 5kv.
The 55kv shock i just got was from 2 car ignition coils.
And i guess the capacitor would have been a photo flash circuit? i got shocked by one of those and it hurt more than 10kv:D

Souper man said:
In your posts, try not to slander or disrespect other nationalities.
As an American, do you really expect anyone to take you seriously on that? Prove that what I said is slander, and if it is, I'll admit that it was disrespectful also, and retract what I said. This is an international forum - don't presume to tell me what to do.

Take the idea of capital punishment to any of the methods you would use in your electronics projects - it just doesn't work. I think retributive punishment, as it obviously exists in both our countries (and I'll admit the inherent racism in the Canadian justice system, too), is a symptom of an emotional reaction to a problem - not necessarily the right or best thing to do. If everytime an electronics project you attempted failed, you got upset, and destroyed what you were working on, what would you learn? Nothing, and people would probably think you were insane if you continued as an electronics hobbyist. So you tinker with the, let's say, robot to try to get it to stop malfunctioning, and instead do what it can do best.

My point is that there are problems in everything we do, and the more we let anger and hatred guide what we decide to do, the more it kills us inside, so what's the point? It's just a downward spiral, and it doesn't have to be that way as long as you put in the work to make things better. Chances are, if you're on this forum you're one of the people who wants to make things better.

Last edited:
250VAC mains. 3 times. with hands, feet and knee.
Am I dead yet?

I dont want to argue on the internet, and if I became agressive i appologize...

I got shocked by a disposable camera, roughly 10kv I think

bloody-orc said:
Am I dead yet?

You should be... Were you shock 3 time simultaneously, or 3 different incidences?

different occasions of course ;) but in the same year (last one)

bloody-orc said:
250VAC mains. 3 times. with hands, feet and knee.
Am I dead yet?
Was it three phase or something?

No Just countryside 2 holed socket in the wall. The voltage tends to vary a lot where I live. 210VAC to 250VAC. And all I felt was a "small" jolt of power through me and nothing more. Gave me lots of energy, that I had to "earth" so I went swimming afterwards and swam my best "lap" time in the see ;) Not bad for a days work I should say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back