Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shock Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

hideousmonster

I know very very little about electronics, and the frequency with which I make anything is so small, that it would not justify learning much, however this is one of those times.

I want to rig an earphone jack audio cable, so that the left speaker lead sends audio to a speaker (or whatever I plug it into), as it normally would, but the right speaker lead activates a relay coil instead, which completes a circuit that links directly into my own body, sending a harmless but very uncomfortable electric shock through me, until the audio being transmitted through that right earphone wire stops.

I'm trying to reprogram my sleep patterns, and find that I frequently sleep through my alarm, and this is the fix I have chosen: I will program my ipod to play a specific song (which I will edit on my computer) to wake me up, through the left speaker, and if I do not get out of bed within two minutes, I will have edited the sound file to activate the right speaker for brief periods of time, at regular intervals, until I get the hell out of bed.

I need to know these things:
1. What kind of relay will make this work, if any.
2. How do I reduce the current from an AC/DC adapter with an output of 13.5V and 300mA to a level that will wake me up but not injure me.

I do not need explanations, because I won't understand them, and I'm sure I will forget them by the time I need them again. Just please explain to me HOW to accomplish this, but not WHY it will or will not work. If it will not work, then I'm open to alternative suggestions.

Thank you for the help.

An earphone output is too small to drive a speaker. It can feed an audio amplifier that drives a speaker.
Most relays are activated by continuous DC, but audio is not DC, instead it is AC and it is not continuous.

13.5VDC at up to 300mA will not even be felt by you unless you are soaked in salt water, then it might tingle. The current will be small (unless you are made of metal).

Do you want to electrocute yourself to wake up? DONT DOO DAT! (Because then you will never wake up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back