Shipping a large box from US to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
I have a 37lb (16.8kg), 43"x13"x24" (109x33x61cm) box, containing a used aircraft seat, worth about $250us that I would like to ship to Oz via a cheap (slow) method. UPS/Fedex wants more than twice what the seat is worth to ship it by air. I dont care if it takes 3 months to get to Brisbane. It is too big for US Postal Service.

Anybody have any ideas?

Unless the item is too big to break down I would make it into several smaller components and ship them via post. The one rate boxes are very economical and will arrive in about 3 weeks. If the box cannot be broken down, then a look at parcel post may be worth it. I have shipped dive gear to and from Thailand this way and it takes a month or more to arrive from the US, but it does finally get there. The box usually weighed 38 Kilos and was about 75.00 to ship( but I insured it for 10,000 to make sure it got there). Hope this helps.
Bob

Unfortunately, it is a weldment, so cannot be broken down any smaller. USPS will not take it. I'm looking for an alternate to UPS/FEDEX, which only ship by air, and hence are too expensive.

I have shipped things before and received things shipped by freight and its not a big deal. Most shipping company's have 1/2 pallet sizes that are fairly economical for what you want to ship. Contact one or more of them and see what their pricing by size and weight breaks down as.

I have shipped solar panels the same way.

You are going to want to use cargo ship.

DHL has 20 and 40 foot containers.

You can also buy a cubic meter in these containers. That is your best bet.
It can take a month or longer, but that is a non-issue with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…