Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shipping a large box from US to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
I have a 37lb (16.8kg), 43"x13"x24" (109x33x61cm) box, containing a used aircraft seat, worth about $250us that I would like to ship to Oz via a cheap (slow) method. UPS/Fedex wants more than twice what the seat is worth to ship it by air. I dont care if it takes 3 months to get to Brisbane. It is too big for US Postal Service.

Anybody have any ideas?

Unless the item is too big to break down I would make it into several smaller components and ship them via post. The one rate boxes are very economical and will arrive in about 3 weeks. If the box cannot be broken down, then a look at parcel post may be worth it. I have shipped dive gear to and from Thailand this way and it takes a month or more to arrive from the US, but it does finally get there. The box usually weighed 38 Kilos and was about 75.00 to ship( but I insured it for 10,000 to make sure it got there). Hope this helps.
Bob

Unfortunately, it is a weldment, so cannot be broken down any smaller. USPS will not take it. I'm looking for an alternate to UPS/FEDEX, which only ship by air, and hence are too expensive.

I have shipped things before and received things shipped by freight and its not a big deal. Most shipping company's have 1/2 pallet sizes that are fairly economical for what you want to ship. Contact one or more of them and see what their pricing by size and weight breaks down as.

I have shipped solar panels the same way.

You are going to want to use cargo ship.

DHL has 20 and 40 foot containers.

You can also buy a cubic meter in these containers. That is your best bet.
It can take a month or longer, but that is a non-issue with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back