Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

shielding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozzo

hey will good old aluminum foil work for shielding?

What sort of shielding? It probably won't shield you against a 9mm round, though it will probably shield you quite well from sunburn :lol:

If you mean radiation shielding, I'd think lead would be the best answer, only finding sheets of lead is kinda difficult.

If you mean shielding against EMI/RFI, then the foil will serve as good from of Faraday Cage for protection.

'Irish Travelers' cover their window panes with foil - I think it is supposed to keep out (shield) evil spirits. But, seriously, the author needs to tell us what kind of shielding he is interested in.

yes rf shielding

guess I left myself open for all these replies. I never knew geeks had such a sense of humor. I am trying to improve my crappy fm transmitter, and I didn't know if it mattered what kind of metal is best for shielding ( tin, steel, aluminum) anyway, the radiation reply was the funniest, I can just see beevis and butthead trying to make a nuke in thier basement wrapped in aluminum foil for some reason. and by the way you can get sheets of lead from plumbing supply places . They use it to make shower pan liners

I don't think it matters too much, which metal you use. You can usually buy aluminium project boxes from electronics stores, which could be useful for you.

Wow, cool huh, huh, huh, huh

Attachments

• foiled.jpg
    foiled.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 714
Aluminum should work fine. Just remember, you can't solder to it and you have to connect it to the negative or ground of your transmitter. I'd probably put some plastic wrap between the foil and the PC board to prevent shorts.

What do you mean geeks? My mom tells me I'm cool all the time.

gotta get one

where did you get the foil suit picture?- very funny

I may be a geek when it comes to plumbing - but, with electronics, I can make them ole ICs sing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back