Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shielding Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

Hi,

I was given a piece of shielding material some time back & i am trying to identify it as i need to purchase some more. I tried to contact the person who gave it to me but they have moved unfortunately.
Can someone help.

The shielding material looks exactly like very thin cardboard about .015" thick, white cardboard on one side & the other side is coated very dark grey which looks like carbon or graphite maybe? The black coating is very thin maybe .001" or close to it.

The black coating has Resistance & i measured at 1" intervals

1" = 77 Ohms
2" = 109
3" = 110
4" = 113

Try looking up Mu metal... Maybe. Mu metal is silver gray though. What application is it used for?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response,

I just has a read about Mu Metal, it says it has a very high Permeability so i tried a magnet on the coating & absolutely no response at all, if it was a Mu Metal coating i thought the magnet may stick to it or respond at least but nothing at all?

It looks the same colour as Graphite & you can leave shiny streaks across it when you scracth your fingernail or something over it.

Mu metal might not stick to a magnet as it is mostly Nickle. But it does have magnetic properties. It is beyond my chemistry knowledge. Maybe someone else can explain why it will not attract a magnet...

Mu metal might not stick to a magnet as it is mostly Nickle. But it does have magnetic properties. It is beyond my chemistry knowledge. Maybe someone else can explain why it will not attract a magnet...

I read a bit more & your correct with the Nickle content & magnets, i was assuming Permeability meant magnetic.

Is there a way i can test this to see if it is Mu Metal, Graphite etc?
An Acid test or something?

Mu metal shields magnetic fields. Use a magnet on one side of it and a piece of metal on the other, if it's mu-metal the magnet will feel much weeker through the shielding.
It could also be heat shielding, it almost sounds like the insulation boards I pull out of toasters. Looks almost exactly like thin sheets of cardboard, just very resistant to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back