Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sheilding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaibhav Birit said:
i would like to know at what potential do we keep the metal sheilding of a transmitter. Do we connect the metal sheilding to the ground of the circuit that lies inside or do we keep them electrically isolated.

You normally connect it to the ground of the circuit.

There is quite a bit of information written by/for radio amateurs on grounding and it does address shielding. Several things that I remember about grounding - one was only ground one end of the shield. I don't know quite why but my guess is to prevent it from becoming a conductor of significant amounts of current. Another recommendation by the experts is to ground everything to a single point and to bond the equipment ground to the electrical system ground with appropriately heavy wire. Again, lots of information exists, as I recall, in amateur radio publications and journals.

I'd bet that single ground connection on the sheild prevents the sheild from working like an antenna and coulping that noise into your ground. With 2 connections any potential induced in the sheild would appear on your ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back