Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sharp GP2D12 IR Distance Sensors Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalaran

I am using 2 of these sensors to judge the difference in distance on the two sides. These are then to be read by the ADC of a PIC and compared internally.

As a first practice with this sensor I hooked it up 5V and GND and had the analogue out pin connected directly to a scope. Originally I was seeing large (500mV) spikes multiple times a second. I placed a resistor (1k) and cap (100nF) from the analogue out pin to ground which seemed to clear it up quite well. However I am seeing close to 50mV of random noise no matter what I do. I didn't see anything in the datasheet but is this expected from these sensors? I was under the impression they would be a little more accurate than 50mV, but I could be wrong.

Anyone used these with similar experiences?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back