Several Analog Signals into a Single Signal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
**broken link removed**

Serial Data Out Allows "Daisy Chaining" of Multiple AD8116s to Create Large Switch Arrays Over 256 x 256

:shock:

I think you will find that is the price for 1 chip and the minumium order is 100. I noticed samples aren't available on that chip you gave the link to but look around for a similar chip that has samples highlighted then put in for a sample.

Cheers Bryan

Indeed, 100 bucks ONE chip... eeekkkk :shock:

Still, what I want to do is have 10 cards in my project, each with 16 inputs and 16 outputs. That will make a 160 x 160 matrix. It can be on/off matrix, so it should be easier to make. And it doesn't have to be multiple-inputs to one output. So it can be single-switches. I just need to find out the CHEAPEST way to do that, without signal lost or audio-noise...

Wk

WilliamK said:
I just need to find out the CHEAPEST way to do that, without signal lost or audio-noise...

You need to redefine your requirements to "with MINIMUM signal lost or audio-noise", anything you use (jncluding a mechanical switch!) will have a slight effect on the signal. The trick is to make it too small to be noticable.

Good point. I think 100db is the key here. As this will be an audio instrument. ;-)

I'm buying an Osciloscope to test components soon... as I really want to start this right away, but money is a big issue right now, plus I have to do this part-time for now.

Wk

Ok, here's the status of things. I read several PDFs about Analog Crosspoint Switches/Arrays. And so far I found out that for what I want, the 80 x 80 point matrix, it would cost around 800 USD just for the CHIPs... not good. So my other idea is go back to Multiplexing and see how it affects the sound. So I will order some cheap chips to test this out better. ;-)

The idea gets simpler.

8 modules, each module with 8 inputs and 8 ouputs. So each module will have its own Multiplexer that outputs 8 channels in one signal.

If I want Signal D from Module 2, I just add on each module input, an 8 analog switch to select from which module I want the signal from, and another multiplexer to decode the signal.

Those chips are very cheap, and since they are added by Module, the BASIC machine will be much cheaper. Modules price will raise a bit, but only for those that will have 8 inputs and 8 outputs.

Make sense?

Now I have to test about Audio quality, and check what are the best Multiplexers and Switches for audio x frequency response x noise ...

Another reason to stay away from the "single solution matrix array 100 USD chip" is that here in Brazil is costs 200 USD EACH chip, stupid TAXES... but simpler chips are much cheaper and easier for me to import.

Wk

I'm still totally confused what you're trying to do?.

You mention cross point switches?, and then mention multiplexing?, there's not really much relation between the two?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I'm still totally confused what you're trying to do?.

You mention cross point switches?, and then mention multiplexing?, there's not really much relation between the two?.

Give me some days and I will show you what I'm doing. ;-) First I'm checking with some friends, to see if my project has a market.

Wk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…