Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setting up Solid State Relay to Solenoid with Snubber Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

excetara2

I am setting up the Sharp ST102T202 solid state relays to the solenoid valves that operate at 120VAC and 10W. The recommended values for the snubber are 47Ohms and .022uF. I found cheap capacitors but what is the cheapest resistors to get because of the high voltage rating. Cheapest I could find were carbon composition for 2 dollars per resistor.

On page 9 of the datasheet (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/s102t02_e.pdf) is the setup we are using.

Thanks.

The resistor can actually be a lot smaller than that--maybe like a 1/2 watt or so.

A 0.022uF capacitor will have a reactive impedance of about 120k ohms, so you're really only looking at about a milliamp of current when the thing is on. At turn off, there will be a spike of power that might get into the hundreds of watts, but it only lasts for like a microsecond, so the resistor doesn't need much of a rating.

If you want a pre-packaged solution, you could always go with a Quencharc. These ones might be a bit overkill for your application, but they are convenient and will definitely protect your SSR:

CORNELL DUBILIER|104M06QC100|Film Capacitor | Newark.com

For the cheapest option (assuming you have a lot of solenoids, and that's why you bring it up), I would go with 24VDC solenoids. Then, you only need a diode across the coil, and a transistor for drive it (instead of that SSR).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back