Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Setting up a web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I have been getting more and more people asking me to set up a web site relating to my field of work. My work background and general information reference bases are growing rapidly and I have been asked by many of my customers, Friends and family to set up a web site and share some of it and possibley make a few $$$ at the same time. I have been pondering on doing it for some time too.
I've been told it could be a very good advertising resource for me and my business.

I already have free web hosting with a fair bandwidth available but I am not very efficient or knowledgeable with computer stuff of this sort.
Whats a good way to start a website and get it set up properly?

I know many of the regulars here already have their own websites (and some very good ones too!) and I would like to know what I should be looking at as far as time and effort it would take.

I honestly need to know the basics first and then what can be built on those basics afterward.

Any help or just general input would be greatly appreciated.

Hey TCM,

I also own a small business. I have got a fair number of decent jobs from my website. I have a regular customer in Wyoming that found me on my website. I would get one set up ASAP if you don't already have one. Think about how everyone looks for services these days. Phone book ads are expensive as hell and becoming less and less effective.

My site should be in my profile if you want to take a look at it. I made it my self. Its not perfect, but dead simple. The drop down menu I got off a free code site and modified it to fit my site. The rest I made with good ole' HTML and notepad to write it.

I used Front page and Dreamweaver about 10 or 12 years ago and hated them so I just learned to write HTML by hand. Possibly FP and DW have improved over the past decade:p But they sure sucked back then and churned out gobs of sloppy and hard to read code.

I'd give it a try. By all means post here if you have questions. I'll be happy to help and I am sure many others will too. :)

I set up my site by totally writing the HTML. But if you're starting from scratch, I'd recommend a site that offers a free symbolic editor. I think Yahoo has one, and I know there are others. You "free" host may or may not have one. On the other hand, you get what you pay for, and by accepting free services, you'll have to put up with BS like ads all over your page, low bandwidth, "canned" looking webpages, etc. Another way to go is just buy frontpage as blueroom has or maybe a lightweight (cheaper) editor package. You can use the HTML that gets generated from these programs to learn how the code works. Still another option is to use common tools, such as Microsoft Word to make your pages. You simply set up the page as you want and then chose "Save As Webpage" or something like that. I've generated pages using this method too, but don't expect to be able to make heads or tails of the HTML code; it's not human readable. Use a free version of WS-FTP for uploading the pages, or any other free FTP app.

Web sites are fun, but alot of work. I eventually lost interest in keeping mine up.

PS: Another option to making a full custom webpage is to have an account on Facebook or LinkedIn. These services allow some pretty good customization of your page.

Last edited:
I started on it but gave up shortly after that being the end of April is when I start getting regular local work and far less computer free time so after that I never put much thought into it any more.

I do ponder on it once in a while but so far its not a high priority being I got my class A CDL so I no longer need the advertising for work or the money. Once you can legally drive a semi around here there is no shortage of work or high pay.

Oops, I didn't look at the dates. Glad that you solved the cash flow issue at least.

@TCM I host serveral web sites on my server. I would be more than happy to set you up a web site there. I will do this at no cost. The only thing I ask is to put a small amount of advertising on the site. You will need to get a name registered which normal sells for $8- $10 per year depending on how many years you buy. I can help you with that as well. You will need to help with design ideas and content but I will put it all together for you. I offer this for all the excellent posts that you have on this site. Let me know and I will get started.

TCM

Have they located anything on your property ? To drill I mean.

kv

You mean the oil survey stuff? Yep!

At the present rate of oil filed expansion they should be here in roughly 4 - 5 years. We presently have around 60 -70% of our property mineral rights in our immediate family name now and expect to add another 5 - 15% more by the time the oil fields expand over this way. :)

Also I have a pile of stocks that are not to bad off right now either. :)

Money doesn't buy happiness my big fuzzy butt. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back