Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Service voltage fluctuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
i have moved to a new suburb in town.Unfortunately,we have to contend with low voltages during peak hours 6-10pm daily.
I have heard that,the problem can be addressed with a single voltage stabilizer and the entire house will never experience that kind of problem again.I want to know how the wiring should be done .

Thanks
Kwame

Last edited:
hi there

it mite be helpful to know where you are from ... country ?
what the voltage is supposed to be?
how much is it fluctuating by?

Dave

They are wired in series with the power into the house. But ones rated to handle the total house load are not cheap.

The voltage in my country, Ghana,is 220-240 vac .This problem is common in new residential suburbs where the transformer gets over overloaded.The power authority cant replace them on time them due financial difficulties.

Last edited:
hi there

it mite be helpful to know where you are from ... country ?
what the voltage is supposed to be?
how much is it fluctuating by?

Dave

I cannot specifically state by what value it flactuates.The incandescent bulbs cannot bright very well (bulb emits yellowish light) and the fridges can chill;breaking down very often.

Last edited:
In places where this happens you can buy voltage regulators that will give 230V output regardless (within reason) of the input voltage. They consist of a transformer with variable taps that switch in and out depending on the input voltage. I have seen them in Bangkok and appear to keep the locals happy.

In places where this happens you can buy voltage regulators that will give 230V output regardless (within reason) of the input voltage. They consist of a transformer with variable taps that switch in and out depending on the input voltage. I have seen them in Bangkok and appear to keep the locals happy.

Hi Pepper
for exactitude ,what is the name of this hardware you are making apparent reference to?

The voltage in my country, Ghana,is 220-240 vac .This problem is common in new residential suburbs where the transformer gets over overloaded.The power authority cant replace them on time them due financial difficulties.

Use of a regulator which would cause the house voltage to be raised to the nominal 220-240 in a situation like this where the distribution substation is being overloaded, will increase the overload on the substation. Imagine if everybody installed such a regulator--blackout guaranteed.

Use of a line conditioner by the OP would solve his problem. He just better hope only few smart ones like himself do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back