Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Server-controlled power strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not use a tiny reed signal relay on the reset button connectors on your Linux box?

or an optoisolator for that matter ... a transistor output isolator could "close" the switch when triggered

You guys aren't getting the point of the project. I want to be able to individually address each outlet on the device in order for the server to reboot its own peripherals. I'm not sure at the moment how much power my server draws, especially at startup, but I'm pretty sure that it will be the highest power draw on the device. The relay needs to be able to handle any kind of current that could come across a household outlet. I would prefer to not have to spend $500 on 20 amp SSR's to make this project happen, but I'm beginning to see why commercially produced versions of these are so goddamn expensive. The deciding factor on this project is going to be whether I can find a way to switch AC power with a microcontroller for a couple bucks a piece.

Can you run a handful of relays in parallel in order to reduce the current across each one?

You could use a 5 volt relay to switch a 120vac relay that will handle 15+amps...Kind of a round about way of doing it but it would work and cheaper than $500.

An AC relay with a driver circuit is certainly not out of the question. I'll have to look into the prices on those and see what kind of hackup I can arrange.

Mouser has panasonic relays rated 20A at 250V with 80A inrush for less than $6 each, with a 5 volt coil

part number:
JM1AN-TMP-DC5V

FEATURES
• Compact, high-capacity, and resistant to inductive loads It can control an inductive load with inrush current of 80 A and steady state current of 20 A.
• Excellent contact welding resistance High contact pressure, a forced opening mechanism, and a forced wiping mechanism realizes an excellent contact welding resistance.
• High breakdown voltage and surge resistant relay More than 6.4 mm .252 inch maintained for the insulation distance between contacts and coil, and the breakdown voltage between contacts and coil is 5,000 V for 1 minute. In addition, the surge resistance between contacts and coil is greater than 10,000 V.

Once you get into 12V coil relays, the price is $1.35 for 40A SPDT at AllElectronics. It would seem that a 12V relay driver could be on the same board as your relays.

I still haven't built this project, but I haven't given up.

The problem with a TRIAC or SCR is it requires constant cooling, which is already being done by the server.

By the way, if anyone needs a dedicated server, hit me with a PM. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back