Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Series/Parallel mode in LCR Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothe83

Hi everyone,
whenever i am using the LCR meter, i always having an question in my mind. The question is " what is Series & parallel mode in LCR meter?".
For capacitance & resistance, the parallel mode can give the correct value. And for Inductance, the series mode gives the correct value. So i am tring to find the differnce between the two mode. give inputs to understand that.

Thanks,
Vinoth

For C or L with no losses (low D or high Q, Q=1/D) the results from a parallel or series measurement will be identical. Once you have losses in the part (like all real parts), you can model it two ways. For a given frequency, you can put a resistor in series or in parallel. Circuit-wise it isn't always the same, but in terms of AC math, the results are identical. Sometimes it's more convenient to use one model or the other, and some industries/applications tend to use a specific model just because that's the way they've always done it. I have a document on my web site called Handy Electronic Formula Sheet that will show you the relationships between the two models, and a bunch of other stuff that might prove useful. Also download my impedance converter utility on the downloads page which will do all manner of conversions for you, including this one.

Best,
Conrad

Hi everyone,
whenever i am using the LCR meter, i always having an question in my mind. The question is " what is Series & parallel mode in LCR meter?".
For capacitance & resistance, the parallel mode can give the correct value. And for Inductance, the series mode gives the correct value. So i am tring to find the differnce between the two mode. give inputs to understand that.

Thanks,
Vinoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back