Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

series and parallel resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

07kim36

is it possible to calculate voltage drop of each resistor in this type of circuit ?

the circuit diagram is in the attachment..

Attachments

• LADDER.png
    LADDER.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 307
Yes. One way is to work out the voltage at each of the two branching junctions by working out the equivalent resistances to the right of those junctions. This would make use of the equations for calculating series and parallel resistances and the voltage divider equation.

Or you can use any of a myriad of different approaches...

i calculated the total equivalent resistances 7.97 ohm but.. i am really lost now.. i dont know how to continue ..please help me sir..

So what's the equivalent resistance formed by R4, R5 & R6? Once you've found it, let's call that Ry.

So what's the equivalent resistance formed by R2, R3, R4, R5 & R6? Once you've found it, let's call that Rx.

Work out the voltage at the junction (use resistor voltage divider equation) between R1 and Rx; we'll call that Vx. From this you can work out the voltage across two resistors.

Using Vx, work out the voltage at the junction between R3 and Ry. From this you can work out the voltage across another two resistors.

You shouldn't have any trouble working out the voltages for the final two resistors.

i think thats what i did
[(R6+R5)//R4 ]+R3 =x
(x//R2)+R1 = 7.97Ω .

but this is only the total equivalent resistance.. how to get the voltage drop across each resistor???

So what's the equivalent resistance formed by R4, R5 & R6? Once you've found it, let's call that Ry.

So what's the equivalent resistance formed by R2, R3, R4, R5 & R6? Once you've found it, let's call that Rx.

Work out the voltage at the junction (use resistor voltage divider equation) between R1 and Rx; we'll call that Vx. From this you can work out the voltage across two resistors.

Using Vx, work out the voltage at the junction between R3 and Ry. From this you can work out the voltage across another two resistors.

You shouldn't have any trouble working out the voltages for the final two resistors.

the equivalent resistance formed by( R4, R5 & R6 )=(15/8)Ω for Ry.
equivalent resistance formed by( R2, R3, R4, R5 & R6)=(282/95)Ω for Rx.

ooooo i seee.. ^^ wonderful sir... so if theres only two resistor like R1 and Rx... i can definitely get voltagedrop of R1 through voltage divider...then from there i make the circuit into 3 resistor... R1, R2, Rz...but omg.. ok now i am confused.. :D

So once you've worked out the voltage Vx, you can ignore R1 and R2 for the next calculation of Vy... so there are only two resistors.

So once you've worked out the voltage Vx, you can ignore R1 and R2 for the next calculation of Vy... so there are only two resistors.

i have tried to do it but i dont know if i got the right concept.. please help me check my solution on this matter sir.. its in the new attachment(picture)..:Dmy solution - Copy.png

Your working looks right to me also. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back