Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial port identification & API programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Hi guys,

This is a tough one. But I have to start somewhere. For starters, what's the name of this 15-pin connector in the picture? I'd like to get a connector to USB for this one. It is said it is a serial connector but I've not dealt with this kind before. The datasheet says:

The HR4000 has both USB and serial port connectors (with the use of an adapter), enabling you to connect the spectrometer to a desktop or notebook PC via a USB port. However, you must create custom software if using the serial port. OceanView software is available if you are connecting via the USB port.

For additional info, this is an Ocean Optics spectrometer. I'd like to explore the APIs to display the readings using a Raspi and a display. I know, it's tough. But I don't have a choice; I have to learn how to do it.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Vizier87

Attachments

• WP_20160719_004.jpg
    WP_20160719_004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 259
what's the name of this 15-pin connector in the picture? I'd like to get a connector to USB for this one. It is said it is a serial connector but I've not dealt with this kind before. The datasheet says:

Did you look at page 21 of the datasheet to which you gave the link?

On page 21 it clearly states:

30-Pin J2 Accessory Connector - Part Numbers

The part numbers for the 30-pin accessory connector on the HR4000 Spectrometer are as follows:

 The connector is Pak50™model from 3M Corp. Headed Connector – Part Number P50–030P1–RR1–TG.

 The mating connector is Part Number P50–030S–TGF

Is this the information that you are looking for?

JimB

You will also find that page 5 of the HR-4 manual gives the pinout of the 30 pin connector. The three pins dealing with RS232 which you want are 1 (RX), 2 (TX) and 5 ground. If you could not find this information I don't think you have much chnce of writing the interface software.

Les.

Did you look at page 21 of the datasheet to which you gave the link?

On page 21 it clearly states:

Is this the information that you are looking for?

JimB

Whoops. My bad. I read the brochure document (which I thought didn't give much info) and supplied you guys with the correct one (which I just shared from Google) which I thought was the same and obviously I missed the one I shared. Thanks for pointing that one out. From Mouser it seems that they want a minimum 208 order. :banghead: Lemme look around and I'll update.

You will also find that page 5 of the HR-4 manual gives the pinout of the 30 pin connector. The three pins dealing with RS232 which you want are 1 (RX), 2 (TX) and 5 ground. If you could not find this information I don't think you have much chnce of writing the interface software.

Les.

Thanks for your motivation. Nope, my programming in .NET is perhaps intermediate and I have experience in microcontrollers for a few years. Also, HR-4 is the breakout board, which I don't have. I just need the specific part like Jim mentioned. I'll take my chances anyway.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back