Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial PIC programmer for the 18Fxxx series

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucamunga

Hi to everyone...YES, me again with another suggestion...clearly for me =).
Since me desktop PC when down (ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO problems...don't bought it !!!) i can't use the SCHAER+ programmer that i already built.
So, i decided to build a new one...this part is when all you guys jump in and tell me what to build.
I'm thinking of the JDM programmer, but i'm not sure if that programmer support the 18F series...can anyone say anything about that?.
Also, since i don't have a serial port in my laptop, i will use a USB to Serial add
adapter, this one :

https://www.pcfactory.cl/ficha.php?id=b922465e-4a3e-4449-9bf9-c7065751c655

...to some up, can anyone recommend me a serial programmer...one that can be hand-made,hand-build.

thank you a lot !!!...

Don't waste your time with JDMs or any of those antique pieces of junk. Buy or build yourself a PICkit 2 or a Junebug or similar PICkit 2 clone. They're fast, they do debugging, they work properly with MPLAB and they're cheap. And best of all they're USB so no stupid adapters needed. And they work perfectly with modern computers. The JDM almost always does not work.

Last edited:
futz said:
PICkit 2 or a Junebug or similar PICkit 2 clone

i believe that i need another PIC 18F2552 or similar to build that programmer beside the one i want to program... em i right?

Hi,

You can build your own 'lite' version of the Pickit2, it requires a 18F2550 chip programmed with the firmware downloaded from Microchip.
See the diagrams at the end of the Pickit2 manual

A lite version uses minimal parts, leaving out the more difficult to buy bits, so will only run as programmer - its a good exercise, but would still recommend buying a complete genuine Microchip Pickit2 or a Junebug if you want a dev board as well. Its the best money you will ever spend on micros.

HTH

Attachments

• pk2lite.jpg
    pk2lite.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 829
richard.c said:
Buying a complete genuine Microchip Pickit2 or a Junebug if you want a dev board as well. Its the best money you will ever spend on micros.

Amen to that!

one additional question related to this thread.. AFAIC, PIC1xCxxx cannot be programmed using PICkit2. Donno about junebug, can someone comment on that? I know that C is OTP (or erasable using UV if "window" is present) but do not have any programmer that can burn the program into it.

Ahhh I have never programmed a "C" version with a PICKIT2 because I have never met a "C" version recently.Even to a mass production "F" is fairy around the budget.

The only "C" chip I have programmed in my life is 12C508.But its with an ancient programmer.

The P16PRO40 will, or indeed any parallel port programmer with suitable software.

But bear in mind you need some JW eraseable versions (plus a UV eraser) to develop programmes for them - as you can only write them once (apart from with EXTREME limitations - I have done it though).

I would suggest you sell them (or throw them away) and get 12F508's to play with instead, or (better still) 12F675's.

@nigel .. the way I "plan" to do it is to develop the sw for 12F508 (I have few of those too) and then when tested just recompile for 12C508 and burn them in. I have some "simple" LPT programmer (from oshonsoft) will try if that on will burn them ... the UV lamp I have, but the 12C508 in my possession do not have "window" so - no erasing possible.. and anyhow, I want to use them for some "simple tasks" like 1wire txt lcd driver etc... but if this lpt programmer I have do not program them, they will make nice addition to my keychain :D

I just sold about 40 C and JW series PICs on eBay. Having a debugger and a logic analyzer will help with almost any programming project.

cucamunga said:
can somebody attach the schematics and the firmware of the entire programmer?
Which programmer? . You will need a working programmer to program the chip (bootstrap :p) for this programmer. It's a catch-22 for some people.

Last edited:
cucamunga said:
can somebody attach the schematics and the firmware of the entire programmer?

If you go with LPT programmer, you do not need firmware, but you do need "real" lpt port (usb2lpt will not work) and you do not have debugging abilities. If you want to build USB programmer, you can get junebug and pickit2 schematic from their respective sites and firmware from microchip. (you will still have to program the bootloader to the pic somehow). My suggestion would be to order junebug, but if you want to DIY then imho the easiest way is to build only the programmer/debugger part of the junebug (you do not need the learning part of the junebug to successfully program/debug - but this I never tried so cannot say for sure)

I just built last night this as 3 other programmers I have do not want to burnin 12C508:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/05/p16pro40-1.pdf
and used Nigel's programmer you can download from here:

So now I have 4 different programmers (lpt one from oshonsoft, lptone i just mention, pickit2 and easypic4) :D

Nigel, many thanks for the hint, it programs the 12C508 without any problems :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back