Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial parallel converter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hihi

hi there, i wld like to know wats the difference between a decoder ( 1 data input, 4 data output) and a serial parallel converter (1 data input, 8 data outputs), is it only tat a serial parallel converter have more data outputs? or muz they be used together? or either 1? thanks guys...

What's in a name ?

I think this could be a dangerous question ...
A serial -to- parallel converter (1 in, 8 out) will allow me to send 8 bits of data over a single line and seperate them out again in the converter (a UART ?)
A 'decoder' (1 in, 4 out) may be the same thing or it could 'decode' two binary bits into four unique states, allowing only one output to be energised at any one time.

To be sure you would need to know more about the circuit, IC or whatever these terms refer to.

Hihi said:
hi there, i wld like to know wats the difference between a decoder ( 1 data input, 4 data output) and a serial parallel converter (1 data input, 8 data outputs), is it only tat a serial parallel converter have more data outputs? or muz they be used together? or either 1? thanks guys...
try to read digital principle by malvino leach
you will get all your ans in details

One simple way to describe it would be that a decoder lets you select one of several pins to send a serial data stream out on, and a converter would buffer sufficient data from the serial stream to produce one chunk of parallel data and send it out on all the required pins at once.

hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back