Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial LCD IC - How to identify connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I am trying to recycle an LCD display unit from a car I scrapped, it was a ford granada and had a nice little LCD unit that I kept for future use.

The unit has 2 ICs on the back of the PCB and very little else (2 small SMT resistors I think) and nothing at all on the other side apart from the contacts for the LCD glass.

The connector for the unit from the cars main unit is a 6 way ribbon connector, 2 of which seem to go only to a pair of mini lamps that backlight the unit. The remaining 4 traces go to the ICs which are 40 pin SMT bearing the markings N7100050FDC000 and 435KA and finally kSM94442. They are Philips ICs but I can't get any info on them from the net.

Does anyone have any way of defining the serial connections?

If need be I can take close up pictures of the board and ICs.

Al

Can you read the resistor values, or if not, measure them.
They are possibly pull-ups for the SDA & SCL lines and you may be able to trace them back to the 6-way ribbon connector.
Two pins for the backlights.......two pins for SDA & SCL.....two pins for supply & ground.

The supply and ground pins will usually go to larger tracks. The ground track may be connected to a ground plane which are often easy to identify.

I really doubt you will get it working, even with correct pins as I2C device it will have a device address and some multi byte data protocol, possibly a back-forth handshake prototcol that will all have to be correct to get the display working. You only chance really would be to get a datasheet from Philips showing all the protocol for that exact display.

Thanks Guys,

After the replies I am beginning to see that it will be too difficult to utilise the display so back in the junk box it goes, never know someone might need one!

Thanks Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back