Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sequential Lighting display Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgetbubba

I am brainstorming a project for a museum that depicts a path on a mural that settlers or whatever would've taken. The path would utilize LEDs along point A to point B. The LEDs would light up one by one when triggered along the path. When the path was reached, the would all remain lit for a few seconds and then start over once triggered.

I have done similar projects using shift registers with success. The only hiccup with this project is that there could potentially be 100+ LEDs to control/address individually. I would hate to have to wire up 17 or so 8-bit shift registers to do the job.

Does anyone have another ideas regarding this?

Thanks....

Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific. I am already planning on using a Parallax controller. My question was more directed at the driving of LEDs. I plan on shifting out data to shift registers capable of driving the LEDs right now. But didn't know if there was a better way. This way would require a bunch of shift Registers.

The Maxim MAX7219 can drive 64 leds per chip communicating via three wires and are cascadable; the MM5451 from Micrel (formerly a National Semi product) can drive 35 leds per chip communicating via two wires (non-cascadable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back