Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

  • Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Senior Project Design ideas (Audio/Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

Member
I'm looking for some ideas for a (college level) senior project I can do for EE. I would like do something audio/video related, but rather do something focusing more or all on video. I'm more into solid state type of electronics (signal processing, etc) and would like to stay away from something that uses a motor or any mechanical parts.

But yeah, anyway im looking for any ideas you guys might have, with alot of challenge to it. Any idea you throw out is fine, just looking for a bit of direction.

As of right now I'm thinking about doing a scan converter type device. One that takes in a multiple types of signals (composite, s-video, component, rgb, etc), and outputs analog rgv or dvi/hdmi at any selected resolution/frequency. Designed for hookup for either a computer monitor or HDTV. Also with auto-sensing inputs if you have mulitple devices hooked up to the scan converter.

Thats the direction im heading in right now but would like some more ideas. I'm thinking the scan converter won't have enough challenge to it for a college level project. Maybe you guys can suggest any features I can add to it to make it more challenging?

I'm open to any ideas and other project ideas besides the scan converter.

Thanks.
 

rigdoctor99

New Member
DO YOUR OWN BLOODY HOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get very p''sed off with lazy students...... When I did PHD's there was no internet were I could ask somebody to do my work for me so I could go down the pub and get pissed....... If this is an example of the type of mind that will work in the industry in the future I think I will shoot myself now, because nothing they develope will ever work.....
 

FusionITR

Member
Do my own homework? Not sure where you are comming from with that. I'm just asking for ideas for a project... no where in my post did I ask anyone to do my project for me...

Do you think students (even before internet forums) comes up with every single idea for a senior project or PhD on their own without asking opinions of fellow students or colleagues? Of course not... they come up with some ideas and ask for opinions from other students/professors/etc. Our professors even encourage us to ask other peoples opinions of our currents ideas and to help eachother out to come up with ideas for projects and help them expand on their ideas

If you even read my original post (which I doubt you did), you will see that I already have some idea I want to do, and have the field narrowed down that I want to do it it. Just asking for opinions for expansion and other ideas if anybody wants to offer any.

Not quite sure where youre attitude is comming from.
 

rigdoctor99

New Member
Yes well, too many students come in here and expect people to do the work for them, and yes I did read all of you post, and yes I did do ALL my own research, if you dont do it yourself who has passed the exam, you or the people who helped you................. Just my opinion..........
 

FusionITR

Member
rigdoctor99 said:
Yes well, too many students come in here and expect people to do the work for them, and yes I did read all of you post, and yes I did do ALL my own research, if you dont do it yourself who has passed the exam, you or the people who helped you................. Just my opinion..........

Do you speak english?

Am I asking you (or any body else) to do ANY research for me? Did I say it is normal for senior project student and people doing their PhD to ask other people to do research for them? NO. All I say it is quite normal and encouraged by professors for students to consult with other students and professors about design ideas and PhD research topics. Are you saying that you, by yourself, chose a PhD topic without any consultation with anybody what so ever? I dont even think any school would ALLOW you to go all by yourself and choose a PhD topic without peer review and approval. Same thing with our senior projects. Infact, we spend 1-2 classes with an open discussion of everybody's senior project plans and the professors and other students give suggestions on their project ideas and project scopes. It's called peer design review.

I am still am very unsure with where you are comming from with this... and I suspect you arent really sure what I am asking.

rigdoctor99 said:
if you dont do it yourself who has passed the exam, you or the people who helped you................. Just my opinion..........

I am not even sure what this means. Is this english?
 

hjames

New Member
How big/small of a project is this? Custom board? How much time do you have?

If you're interested in video type stuff, go to Analog Devices' website and look through their selection of video components. There are a lot of pre-built converters and the like already in silicon - but obviously this project needs to demonstrate your knowledge of the field, so slapping together an app note probably won't fly too well.
 

FusionITR

Member
hjames said:
How big/small of a project is this? Custom board? How much time do you have?

If you're interested in video type stuff, go to Analog Devices' website and look through their selection of video components. There are a lot of pre-built converters and the like already in silicon - but obviously this project needs to demonstrate your knowledge of the field, so slapping together an app note probably won't fly too well.

It's a two semester project so it is pretty big project.

I want to stay away from using alot of ICs, since as your say using ICs and putting something together based on app notes doesnt really demonstrate your ability. I want to try to use as many descrete components as possible, besides maybe the use of a few microcontrollers. I guess 1-2 video related IC's would be fine, but I don't want that to be the majority of my project.
 

hjames

New Member
Doing any sort of video conversion is very hairy unless you use some off-the-shelf "one chip" solution -especially the new digital (DVI/HDMI) formats. And typically these chips are a big mismash of A/D's, DSP, and D/A converters going back out. Pretty much everything is done digitally. If DSP is your main topic, then I think the standard approach is to do most of your work in a FPGA.

Do you have any particular specialization or field?
 

phalanx

Member
rigdoctor99 said:
DO YOUR OWN BLOODY HOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get very p''sed off with lazy students...... When I did PHD's there was no internet were I could ask somebody to do my work for me so I could go down the pub and get pissed....... If this is an example of the type of mind that will work in the industry in the future I think I will shoot myself now, because nothing they develope will ever work.....

That was completely unnecessary. You tend to rip on students for not doing their own work so as soon as you see "college" and "project" in the same sentence you start spewing out nonsense like your post I just quoted. He had a legitimate question and asked it in an appropriate manner. Perhaps you should heed your own advice and research (a.k.a. "read and understand") peoples' posts before you respond.

I also didn't realise that a PhD is something that could be "done." You claim you have more than one but if your replies to people are any indication I would have to assume it is a farce.
 

FusionITR

Member
hjames said:
Doing any sort of video conversion is very hairy unless you use some off-the-shelf "one chip" solution -especially the new digital (DVI/HDMI) formats. And typically these chips are a big mismash of A/D's, DSP, and D/A converters going back out. Pretty much everything is done digitally. If DSP is your main topic, then I think the standard approach is to do most of your work in a FPGA.

Do you have any particular specialization or field?

Do you have any suggestions I can change to the scope of the project to lessen the dependance on IC's? I cant really think of *any* sort of signal processing project (even not audio/video related) that wouldnt trendiceously benefit from the use of a lot ICs. Well I shouldnt really say it like that. What I am really asking is what else do you think I can add to the scope of the project that I can do thats not buying an IC and looking application notes? Something maybe non-standard or a feature that would take alot of work even with the use of ICs?

As I have never designed a sizeable project relating to video I am not really sure. Would video overlay (menus, etc) be something like that?
 

FusionITR

Member
phalanx said:
That was completely unnecessary. You tend to rip on students for not doing their own work so as soon as you see "college" and "project" in the same sentence you start spewing out nonsense like your post I just quoted. He had a legitimate question and asked it in an appropriate manner. Perhaps you should heed your own advice and research (a.k.a. "read and understand") peoples' posts before you respond.

I also didn't realise that a PhD is something that could be "done." You claim you have more than one but if your replies to people are any indication I would have to assume it is a farce.

Thanks for the backup bro.
 

hjames

New Member
Make a screen saver - in hardware (would be a variant of a video overlay or something).

Build a very coarse display using LEDs, or something.

Do anything non-trivial with a NTSC signal...
 

frankisdashiz

New Member
IC

Ok guy with your PhD as a high school student we are brought up told to use our rescources and have other people check and review our projects reports etc. You must be a complete fool or are slowly losing your sanity because NOONE comes up with all of their research and all of their ideas on anything by themselves. that defeats the purpose of research... Someone wrote the books you read or made the internet site you used for research. If you claim you have all of your own information from just yourself you did no research and if you did do research and are not giving others credit for it that is plagiarism so either way you look like an idiot
 

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Ok guy with your PhD...

... so either way you look like an idiot

Quite right!
Almost as big an idiot as someone who's first post here is a reply to a long dead 3½ year old thread.

Welcome to ETO.

JimB
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top