Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sending serial signals through USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

I was wondering if it's possible to send serial signals through a USB port with an Attiny2313. If it is possible how would I wire it up, would it be D+ and D- ?

Thanks in advanced.

It works with any operating system that supports USB 1.0 or greater.
I have not used Mac, but I would believe that it works with that system also. I have seen it work with Windows and on Ubuntu Linux.. Contact Steve Jobs for more information.

Does those one button mice work on Windows machine?

Last edited:
Great! One more thing, do you have to put code on to the microcontroller? If so can you use the Great Cow Graphical Basic compiler, or does it have to be C ?
Thanks!

Put the code in the microcontroller. Use any compiler you are familiar with. The Great Cow compiler is too graphical for me personally..

Mister T, your missing your avatar. uhhh, I pity the fool. :)

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Is there a way to do it with out putting the V-USB code on to the Attiny2313, because the compiler I use uses BASIC and the V-USB code is in C. Could I just use serial print? I know its possible with a RS232 to USB connector, but I want to do it with just a USB cable.

Thanks again for the help guys!

No, the USB driver code is very time critical. In V-USB the time critical parts are written in assembly code to achieve the performance the USB protocol demands.
You can use BASIC if you are able to use assembly for the time critical parts of the USB driver.. or any language if you can meet the requirements of the USB protocol.

Last edited:
GCBasic won't make the grade, in the sense that no USB library exists. Porting a software USB would be a lot of work, and not sure possible? Swordfish Basic has a USB library, but I think you have to have the paid version.

Using a FTDI FT232RL of course works great, all the Arduino boards out there can't be all wrong. Microchip finally came up with the MCP2200, which is a USB to UART chip. Don't know all the details, but sounds promising, and cheap to boot.

GCBasic won't make the grade, in the sense that no USB library exists. Porting a software USB would be a lot of work, and not sure possible? Swordfish Basic has a USB library, but I think you have to have the paid version.

Using a FTDI FT232RL of course works great, all the Arduino boards out there can't be all wrong. Microchip finally came up with the MCP2200, which is a USB to UART chip. Don't know all the details, but sounds promising, and cheap to boot.

What about BASCOM-AVR?

What about Bascom-AVR?, last I saw (which was a long time ago), the demo version was extremely limited. A few dollars for a USB-UART support chip, seems economical in the sense of cost and time:

1) Paid compilers could possibly be avoided, it depends on the complexity of your project goals, which haven't been stated.
2) Code may be written in your preferred language.
3) More time is spent on the important things, like finishing your project!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back