Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selling preassembled PCB and CE compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

geko

Hi,

I was considering selling in low volumes, a pre-assembled circuit board but want to know how CE regulations and WEEE directive apply to selling such in the UK.

From searching the net and eBay I can find lots of suppliers of small circuits and they would not appear to comply with any regulations.

Are there exemptions, for example if it requires the addition of a power supply or other external connections to become a functional device.

Any advice from those with some experience in this would be appreciated

Thank you

Pete

I would 'hope' they don't apply to small scale 'kits', so I wouldn't worry about it.

CE was entirely self-certified, I don't know if this is still the case?.

Thanks both of you for your replies.

I'm inclined to go with Nigel and just go ahead with it.

Based on the CE low-voltage directive, since the board would need an external power supply, not supplied by me, and the board itself operate below the voltages specified in that directive it seems to fall outside it.

I suppose to put some context to this I was thinking of making this navigation/strobe/beacon LED controller for model aircraft.
Image1.jpg

If anyone has any other comments, advice or pitfalls I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks

I wouldn't have thought a simple LED flasher falls foul of any regulations?.

However, I would suggest you add an electrolytic across the supply rail - this would massively extend battery life.

Your biggest problem will be anything to do with batteries. They are clamping down tightly on what can be transported regarding anything with Lithium in them. Due to be updated and more tightly regulated in May 2014. This will include both air and road transportation.

Keep anything you build free from Berrilium ( a heat compound) and Lithium (a battery) and you should be OK.

Anything involving crypto material should be avoided.

A simple 555 cct will not be an issue unless you supply a 20Ah LiPo battery pack with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back