Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Self made PCB vs Ordered PCB thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMike

Hey everyone,

I just came across this:

And I wonder, if a home etched pcb would have the same thickness as one you get from a pcb company.

If i made this type of usb connector from a home etched board, will it fit the usb port ?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can order a PCB to be about any thickness.
If you make one you can get stock about any thickness but the odd sizes may be hard to find.

board thickness options at 4pcb.com
.020”, .031”, .062”, .093”, .125”, .187”

interesting question. i have only just started making my own boards, for me it was the cost and the fact i could do a board without having to wait weeks. the first thing that sprang to my mind when i read your question was why plug the board in?? why not simply put a usb connector on the board? that way you dont have to worry about the board thickness or getting the board the correct shape or the spacing of the tracks being spot on.
just a few thoughts! the other thing i will say is doing your own boards is very rewarding although you need time and the pateince of a saint in the beginning but sooner or later it gets easier

interesting question. i have only just started making my own boards, for me it was the cost and the fact i could do a board without having to wait weeks. the first thing that sprang to my mind when i read your question was why plug the board in?? why not simply put a usb connector on the board? that way you dont have to worry about the board thickness or getting the board the correct shape or the spacing of the tracks being spot on.
just a few thoughts! the other thing i will say is doing your own boards is very rewarding although you need time and the pateince of a saint in the beginning but sooner or later it gets easier

The point of this "business card" is to simply be able to hand it to someone, and they can easily plug it in - while being cheap enough to "manufacture" it in a reasonable quantity (as a "business card"). You want to add an extra part or more, whereas this card eliminates that, reducing its cost, and keeping it just as plug-able for the end-user.

A common PCB thickness is 0.06102" (1.55mm).

Please note that the PCB shown has the four USB connecting traces enforced using solder tin. (not good for regular use.)

That kind of card won't function for a long time since the solder tin will be used up by sliding the card into an USB-connector resulting in high resistance or no contact with the USB connector.

A PCB thickness of 1.6mm would be perfect eliminating card enforcement with solder tin.

Boncuk

Here are somethings you can do if you need to meet thickness but your PCB has to be a certain thickness. You can apply a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) and attach a stiffener on to meet thickness requirements. I use this method since I tend to deal with thin flex circuits (1 mil substrates). A home etched PCB will have about the same thickness as FAB housed PCB. You just need to know your target thickness and purchase the FR4 in that thickness. Fr4 comes in a variety of thickness as you probably already know.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back