Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Security gate remote wireless open or closed indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richjen

Hi I am a newbie with limited electronics knowledge (built valve radios and transistor stuff as kid in 60's) I have a gate about 60m from my house and i never know if it is left open or shut. I am seeking to build as cheaply and descretely as possible a device that will indicate whether the gate is open or shut, i would rig this to a pen chart recorder to record time of opening /shutting (built from a 24hr clock and solenoid stylus. I thought to use a 433mhz key fob transmitter and solenoid receiver ala ebay and as the gate is metal with plastic coated netting over it i thought to use the gate itself with the slide bolt as the contact switch. so by running the power from the key fob switch through the gate circuit i could get a continous signal when the gate was closed with the latch slid into the gallvanised metal keep. I realise this will use up a lot of power and wireless transmission so ask for suggestions as to how electomechanically i could generate a pulse on for close , then when the circuit is broken another pulse for off. Would be grateful if anyone could make some suggestions as to the simplest way of achieving this?
Thankyou for reading this.

The 60m is big distance for 433MHz transmitter. Also, without some type of encryption, you'll be getting pulses all day long caused by noise.

I would recommend a hard wired pair going to the gate. A magnet on the gate latch and a reed switch mounted next to the magnet.

0706AF94-2D33-472B-8015-1E6834FEE485.jpeg

Thank you gophert for your interest, reply, and suggestion which is really appreciated.
Unfortunately hard wire is not an option.
Could someone suggest a simple wireless solution? The gate sender needs to be battery operated.

The Tx/Rx systems used for RC model control have a range >>50m. Might be the basis for your project?
The TX accepts potentiometer and switch inputs, so would be simple to interface to the gate. Battery power consumption could be kept to a minimum by having a timer to switch the Tx on only occasionally.
Here's one example of an RC Tx/Rx module.

Last edited:
I think would go with linear/Nortek DXS series transmitters/receivers. e.g. https://www.nortekcontrol.com/produ...less/dxsr-1504-supervised-4-channel-receiver/ You need a power supply too. I mounted everything on a DIN rail. receiver, power supply, relay modules, and Buzzer/"glue logic".

They make a specific door/window transmitter https://www.nortekcontrol.com/produ...-supervised-universal-doorwindow-transmitter/ You might have to weather proof it bit. Here https://www.polycase.com/product-categories is a place to start for a case. If you already have a battery out there an LT3045 based regulator could work:, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It won't be "super cheap". They have a low battery and supervision as well. Supervision can be enabled/disabled. These are used for alarm systems. I have a PERS (Medical alarm) based on their technology.

I had planned, but have not hooked it up yet to use to use a stand-alone receiver for:

A wireless doorbell

I gutted a personal transmitter and installed it in a wireless doorbell housing. Those transmitters are totally sealed. The lifetime is incredible when they are not activated.

The receiver can be configured for momentary, latch, toggle open collector outputs. I needed to add some "glue" to get relay outputs and some glue to manage the low battery audio alarm (no buzzer included) and silence functions.

Demand water re-circulator

In one case, it would go to one of their wireless motion detectors to detect motion in the bathroom and activate the re-circulator.
I had planned on using another wireless technology for the kitchen where you would press a button. Motion would not work here, but water flow sensors would. There is seldom used bathroom and a laundry room that I don't care about.

This is post where region is important because of wireless standards permitted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back