Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Secondary keyless entry receiver module

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtm038

Hello all,
My 06 Ford Expedition has a factory keyless entry system that uses key fobs and a module that is located inside the vehicle. Would it be possible to build a second receiver module that would respond to the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on the factory remote?

Thanks
Ryan

Only if the second receiver can always hear the remote (e.g. if the second receiver is also in your truck).

For example putting the second receiver in the house, such as for a door opener, is likely to work poorly. If the remote uses rolling codes (look it up) then one receiver will lose synchronization (due to skipped codes) when you use the remote away from home.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in responding to your reply- didn't get an email notification.

Anyway, I planned on having the second receiver in the truck, right next to the original. How difficult would it be to design/build the secondary receiver?

Thanks
Ryan

You'd need to find the specifications/protocol that the FOB uses somehow. You can't determine how complex it will be till you can find that information at least.
What is the point of having a second receiver in the truck with the first one? What are you really trying to do here?

You'd need to find the specifications/protocol that the FOB uses somehow. You can't determine how complex it will be till you can find that information at least.
What is the point of having a second receiver in the truck with the first one? What are you really trying to do here?

I'm trying to add my low beams and reverse lights to the illuminated entry on my truck. In stock form, when you hit the unlock button on the FOB, the doors unlock and the interior lights come on. So far I've been able to partially accomplish my goal by using the + unlock motor pulse output from the vehicle security module to pulse/trigger a timer relay, which in turn energizes (2) other relays (one relay powers the low beams and the other powers the reverse lights). Although the current set-up works, there is one drawback in that the door panel switches can also trigger the timer relay and this is something I'd like elminate. So, I was thinking that I could fix the problem by using a secondary module that responded to my FOB. Basically the secondary module would have 1 output, which would be used to trigger the timer relay and hence the timer relay would be isolated from the door panel switches.

Is there any way to find out what specs/protocol my FOB uses?

Thanks,
Ryan

Probably not easily, automakers keep it to themselves, for theft protection, wouldn't even know where to start. Have you thought of getting a more advanced remote start added to the truck? I'm guessing some of the nicer models would be able to do this for you, not gonna be cheap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back