Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Searching in PDF DATA sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerart

Hi,
Recently when searching in PDF DATA sheets, I find that I can't search them for details. It seems that lately some PDFs are sent as images which can't be searched through.
I've been told that the only way is to convert them to PCR (optical character recognition)
I used to have Adobe, but was advised to get rid of it, is Adobe the best way to read PDFs?
Camerart.

I have never had a problem with Adobe and have never heard of any. I was surprised recently, that I was able to search for words in a Forrest Mims Engineer's Notebook that appears to be hand written.

I have never had a problem with Adobe and have never heard of any. I was surprised recently, that I was able to search for words in a Forrest Mims Engineer's Notebook that appears to be hand written.
Hi C,
I think I was warned about viruses being inside PDFs, so I dropped Adobe, but that warning may be out of date. How long do we heed warnings ;)
C.

Adobe is the only PDF software I've used that provides the character detection tool to make the PDF searchable, but I haven't tried many others. I have never had a real problem with Adobe.

I have heard of people worried about viruses in pictures but I am familiar with the file format of some, like BMP. There is no executable code in a BMP and no place for it. Is there any executable code in a PDF? Or a GIF? If not, how could those file types have viruses?

I have heard of people worried about viruses in pictures but I am familiar with the file format of some, like BMP. There is no executable code in a BMP and no place for it. Is there any executable code in a PDF? Or a GIF? If not, how could those file types have viruses?
I dont think its pictures specifically. Just scripting and malicious links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back