Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Searching for obsolete Techtools QW-1 quickwriter

Status
Not open for further replies.

APELPIPE

I acquired a company and a library of very old but still viable Paralax PASM compiled programs which we are using an existing QW-1 programmer from TechTools to upload
into product based mainly out of PIC16F54 and F57 controllers.
I now that I have to somehow get theold .OBJ files into some form so they can be programmed into controllers with more modern equipment
but for this moment, if my QW-1 dies- we're in big trouble because I do not know how to do that.

If anyone out there has a QW-1 that works and no longer needs it, please let me by it from you for some reasonable number. Also if there is anyone out there
that knows how to take .OBJ files, (which look like hex files to me), and use them in more modern equipment like the Pickit-3 or the like, please---I need your help because I have
virtually no experience in doing that. I'm an Intel guy, and have been since the 8080 and 8085.

There are 29 people in this company who have their livelyhoods tied up in this business and I need to do something about it. I'm hoping that there's someone out there that can help.

Wrong reply. Deleted.

Last edited:
I did some digging and it appears the OBJ file is an Intel HEX file with a few extra lines. If you still have the compiler working, genaerate a really small file and look at the output in microchips format and the OBJ format. The compiler can generate both.

I don;t know if you can read the PIC after it's been programmed.

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX

Look at a couple of OBJ files and see what;s similar. You might only have to remove a few lines.

Post about 10 lines from two different OBJ files.

Last edited:
You can also try a dissassembler with a few lines removed.

Use import af MPLAB: Use the IMPORT function of found under the File menu to import your code as hex. You can then view the ASM listing in the Program Memory window. quote from above link.

Contact Parallax https://www.parallax.com/ and see if they still have a copy of SWOPCODE around they can send you and yes that is the correct spelling.

It converts PASM to MPASM files so you can generate HEX files that you can program with any PIC programmer (also works the other way round)

It is old, so you may need to dig up an old computer with XP on it to run it - don't know if it will run on Win 10.

Do you have the source code? - if so it's fairly easy to manually convert it from PASM to MPASM. PASM essentially just uses a few macros to make some parts of code look like that from other devices.

If you don't have the source you would need to disassemble the HEX back to assembler code - which happily would come out as MPASM code anyway. If the PIC's aren't code protected, you can simply read it out.

If they are code protected, then you can easily manually edit the OBJ file to remove the protection, then program a PIC and read it back out. Or a disaasembler might just read the OBJ/HEX file 'as is'.

You really need to get modern source code from what you have, so you can easily make any changes you might need to.

If you disassemble then it's a lengthy job, as there are obviously no sensible labels etc. so you need to create and reinstate those - plus figure out how it all works, and what it does, then add lot's of comments.

Hi, no one really gave you an answer as to how to deal with a quickwriter failure. I use them in production as well as the pickit2. This is what I would do. Create a master(s) of each micro with no code protect (keep these in a safe place). You can disable code protect in quickwriter drop down menu. The masters can be sent to digi key for programming if your programmer fails and then they can turn code protect back on after first article approval. You should also be able to read the unprotected pic into another programmer that supports the device. You won't have access to the source code but you can continue to run production in the event of a failure. I still program parts from 25 years ago and some are set up at digi key. It's not ideal but it will keep the doors open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back