Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SDIP?? How do you put it on a breadboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody and thanks always

Well, for my next projects, I got a STM8S903K3 in a PDIP package (specifically since I know nothing of surface mount technology).
EDIT: I found out that they are SDIP package not PDIP

Anyway, I thought I was good to go, read some tutorials on how to wire it to make a simple blinking LED, download libraries, wrote a program, got some capacitors etc. Thinking of busying a ST LINK V2 programmer and then this:

STM8.jpg

Can you see what is my problem? There are 16 pins in a space in which standard breadboards only accomodate 12 pins!
(I suppose the same thing happens for perfboards too).

So how am I supposed to work with these micros? can someone give me an idea, or advice?

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:
You could buy/make a breakout board.

Google schmartboard.

I would just bend the pins. Use a fine needle nose pliers. It doesn't look like they need to be bent more than they can handle. You make an adapter, you've doubled the cost, and you might as well just get an smd part or dev module.

EDIT: I thought it was just 2 pins out, but it's 4. Probably tough to bend the pins that much. Just deadbug it. Turn it upside down and solder wires.

mid-air-smd.jpg

I am glad its not just me that finds sdips really annoying lol, I use a break out board I etch myself and basically fits like a normal Pdip, but its a PITA

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back