SCR voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

devi1930

I want the circuit diagram of SCR based voltage regulator.AC and DC voltage regulators are required.They should contain SCR as rectifier in the circuit diagram

Last edited:
You say SCR regulator, then SCR as a rectifier. I am not familiar with any SCRs used as regulators, perhaps you mean a 3-terminal TO220 device (LM78xx) which looks like an SCR?

Won't using just one SCR block every half cycle? You can just use a diode for that (why use an SCR?), then a lowpass filter to smooth out the voltage between negative half cycles and follow that with a zener diode to clamp the voltage to get a DC regulator. We did this in a lab a couple years ago...isn't an transformer all that is needed for AC conversion? I'm not sure how you would regulat AC without distorting the waveform...

I have played around with a preregulator for a linear regulator. The preregulator "pass element" was two phase-controlled SCRs used as a full wave rectifier. The idea is to have a variable linear regulator (LM317), with the input voltage tracking the output, but about 5 volts higher, This allows high current at low output voltage without thermally overloading the LM317. It's basically a switching preregulator, running at mains frequency.
I think I got the idea from Jim Williams of National Semiconductor.
I might have the schematic "laying around" (on my hard drive).

This particular one has nothing to do with a triac. However, a triac can replace the two SCR to form the pre-regulator stage and that's the route I chose.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…