Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SCR help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd13

ok, i'm stuck home today with no mode of transport... so i ask you this:

if i had a bunch of circuit boards from misc electronic equipment, and i was looking for a SCR then what should i look for? i know they look like transistors but what else? my goal here is to find one and unsolder it to use on my bread board circuit. so far i had no luck. also what are the leads labled as? i know theres the anode, gate, and cathrode but thats no good if i don't know what leads on the SCR they corespond to. if anyone has any pictures or something that could shine some light on this it would my post heplful! :lol:

why couldn't the companies lable the things "SCR" so people like me could find 'em easier...

If you have one of those dimming light switches (or can go to a hardware store to get one) the only ic in it should be a triac which works like a bidirectional SCR. To find out what parts on you boards are just do a google search on the part number printed on the IC. Google should come up with the datasheet as one of the first couple hits. Pinouts on things like SCR's tend to be fairly standard; just use the pin out from another SCR in the same package.

Brent

SCR-s available also in transistor case e.g. 2N5060:

Attachments

• SCR_754.jpg
    SCR_754.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,689
SCR's are extremely rare components, you are unlikely to find them in most circuit boards. As already suggested, the best places are light dimmers and other such devices - washing machine motor controllers also used to use them.

As with all (at least almost all!) electronic components, the identification numbers on the case enable you to find out what they are.

Nigel Goodwin said:
SCR's are extremely rare components, you are unlikely to find them in most circuit boards. As already suggested, the best places are light dimmers and other such devices - washing machine motor controllers also used to use them.

As with all (at least almost all!) electronic components, the identification numbers on the case enable you to find out what they are.

Rare components?
It depends on where you look. True round the house (probably only) place you would find them is in a dimmer.

However from a wider view point SRC and Diode are still the highest power controlling devices around (MOSFET,BJT,IGBT do not get anywhere near the voltage or current handling of these simple devices)

SCR are mainly used in inverter cct for regen by induction machine or for current source inverters for syncrous machine
But the highest power use at the moment is the High power at high voltage DC:DC link from Europe and England

That still looks extremely rare to me :lol:

Let's see? - 50 billion odd components in use, 100,000 of them SCR's, only a small proportion of which are used in domestic equipment - looks rare to me :lol:

As the question was how to identify SCR's on the boards he has, I don't think the odds are in his favour :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back