'scope shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Davis

I'm comparing the following series:

Tektronix TDS2000B
Agilent DSO3000
Instek GDS2000

All are pretty much in the same functionality-niche, and in competition.

The Tektronix units are pricey, but I know from the TDS1001s and TDS1002s (same units with monochrome display) at school that they are close to bulletproof as a 4.9 lb piece of plastic gets.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Agilent or the Instek pieces? I am interested in reliability first and foremost, and the versatility of the USB interface a close second.

Hi. I have a TDS2024B. Damn nice scope. Has features I hadn't dreamed of. Has a warranty that won't quit. Got mine at Fry's for $2200, a couple hundred less then elsewhere, without the two to three week wait for shipping.

I have been perusing the Instek model GDS2004's manual since I got an email offer for $1800, $1636 with coupon. This model has an optional battery ($385), which the TDS doesn't. So far the manual is a good read, no Chinlish, and a partial review suggests it is a TDS clone, except for the battery and a lot more storage memory. Scary part: there is nothing about a warranty or guarantee, I searched the .PDF manual!

A big thumbs up for the Tek; the GDS is definitely worth checking into, but the warranty is a concern.

Hope that helped,
kenjj

I definitly do not recommend the Agilent DSO3000. They just bought a bunch of them for our school last year and they are terrible.
The LCD is too small and slow, you just end up with a blurr for traces. The menu interface is a pain in the butt to navigate through.

Everyone thought they were awsome because they were in color. I prefered using the old TDS420 scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…