Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

schmitt triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

I have a NE555N.{http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/2573300.pdf}. Can I use that as a schmitt trigger?

Bavananth said:
Thanks.

I have a NE555N.{http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/2573300.pdf}. Can I use that as a schmitt trigger?

hi,
The NE555 is a timer type ic.

Are you confusing the term 'schmitt trigger' with something else.

A schmitt trigger is a device that will detect and convert a slow changing voltage level and produce a 'clean' sharp output edge.
It also has a parameter known as hysteresis.

Do you follow this.?

What exactly are you trying to do with your project.?

Bavananth said:
Thanks.

Yes, you can.

**broken link removed**
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm#buffer

It has the advantage of being able to source and sink 200mA which a TTL/CMOS or comparator IC can't do.

Its ok! I'll buy a 7414 tomorow. I know about schmitt triggers. I found the above article and ( hero999 stated) confused. thats why I asked. I'm going to check it tomorrow.
Please tell me some mostly available Counter ICs(min 4bits) and comparator ICs(this comparator should compare two bits streams). Please.

I wouldn't recommend that, I'd go for the HEF40106 which can operate from a wide supply range and uses much less current.

Last edited:
I find it hard to search in the market. Anyway I'll try.

Please tell me some commonly available Counter ICs(min 4bits) and comparator ICs(this comparator should compare two bits streams). Please.

Bavananth said:
I find it hard to search in the market. Anyway I'll try.

Please tell me some commonly available Counter ICs(min 4bits) and comparator ICs(this comparator should compare two bits streams). Please.

Will you post the name of your location, we could suggest local suppliers.

Its Srilanka,Colombo.

I need some counters and Comparators. Those I got from TI are surface mounts. No time to put them in the pcb and check. So please send me some IC no of em.

Bavananth said:
Its Srilanka,Colombo.

I need some counters and Comparators. Those I got from TI are surface mounts. No time to put them in the pcb and check. So please send me some IC no of em.
hi,
Can you tell us what you are trying to design/build.?

A simple diagram would be helpful.

There are so many types of comparators and counter that it would be a long list just to name them all.!!!

I am designing a system for railway crossing signaling system. My design is

{train detection using a induction method(done) }--->{selective amplifier & filter(done)}---->{pulse time filter(done: output is pulses equal to the number of axles in the train)}--->{counter pulse generation}--->{counter and counter supervision}---->{Atmel controller(done)}---->{RF modules: link(done)} --->{Atmel main controller}-->{track occupied signaling system}

In the above schematic now I need those counters. I ordered some samples from TI but they were surface mount. There I need a comparator to check the number of pulses which are received by two of the above system, to increase the reliability.

Bavananth said:
Its Srilanka,Colombo.

In the market you get SMD prototyping PCBs
Perhaps they may become handy for you
These days no one gos for 74xx. better choose 74HC14 instead of 74 plain
these are generally available.

Attachments

• Schemetic.JPG
    Schemetic.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 283
HC688 is a comparator , 8bit though. while I wouldn't be into designing your project, I could only say that there is an easy way to mount SMD chips on Strip type board by splitting each track into 2 with a sharp tool. I saw some one demonstrating this. How ever, you are very likely to get 74HC seire like HC14 as suggested. also you may get 74HC40106. perhaps CD40106 is easy to get

Last edited:
Hi all! I use Orcad for these design purposes. But can't see anyone using that in this forum.Any problem with Orcad? What is the best of all these tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back