Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schmitt Trigger and Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Schmitts are on the inputs of the gates. They're handy if you need to feed an analog or unconditioned signal into the gate.

Hi kpatz,

I went to college at UNH Durham. Cool.

Anyway, so I guess from that you are saying that there are schmitt triggers basically at the pins which are able to apply histeresis so you know that you have, for sure, an input of "0" or an input of "1" to the gates. So it's a pre-configured schmitt trigger which only job in life is to determine if whats at the pins are a "0" or "1".

Does that all make sense?

Thanks for the reply!!

-wuchy143

That's basically it. On gates without Schmitt triggers you can get unpredictable or undesirable results if the input voltage is in that no-no zone between "low" and "high". The Schmitt ensures the gate gets an actual 1 or 0 (high or low) even if the input voltage is out of normal TTL or CMOS spec, say due to noise. They can also be handy for making oscillators and astable/monostable multivibrators, or to measure an analog voltage by timing how long it takes for the voltage to charge a capacitor through a resistor up to the Schmitt threshold (this is sometimes done to achieve a simple/crude A/D conversion with a microcontroller or a timer/counter).

I live in Manchester, about an hour from Durham.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back