Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sceptre Model X320BV-ECO Audio no Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

Just found out the Guest Room LCD is will turn on for a Moment and display "Scepter" in Big Red Letters and then goes Black.

I'm thinking power supply but; not sure. I will check some caps but; hopefully someone has some clues to the problem.

One of which; toss it. :p

Thanks,
KV

Update; caps all check out. One Inverter looks like it got a little hot. Otherwise no, clue.

Edit: I just put it all back together; I did Re-solder the Inverters; but I don't think that was it.

It's working for now; maybe one of the caps was screwed up and while checking ESR's something happened.

I have no idea; but it's working for now.

kv

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad joint. Get better weed.
What? Oh, sorry. Bad soldered joint. Rework required...

Sounds like a bad joint. Get better weed.
What? Oh, sorry. Bad soldered joint. Rework required...

I didn't inhale and I don't know Monica Lewinsky.:p

Why is it a wet joint is "good" and a "dry" joint isn't???????

I don't know tbh. You need a certain amount of moisture to make steam and regulate combustion I suppose. Anywhere, I thought in the US you called them cold joints???? I can understand why a cold joint is bad...

Presumably because the solder has to 'wet' the two sides of the connection?.

If it doesn't 'wet' one or both of the sides, then it doesn't 'stick' :D

Only people with experience in thru hole components would get what we'er talking about; wetting a joint was referred to the wicking of the solder as it rises up on the leads of the components. Which is to say that the proper amount of heat applied to both surfaces. :)

I don't see why this particular understanding has to be limited to people who have soldered through hole components. Same principle applies to all soldering, including brazing (aka hard soldering). I finally remembered where I heard the term "wetting the joint" before - plumbing! Though in the darkest depths of my memory, I'm sure I used to wet my iron too, whereas now of course I tin my bit...

I finally remembered where I heard the term "wetting the joint" before - plumbing! Though in the darkest depths of my memory, I'm sure I used to wet my iron too, whereas now of course I tin my bit...

Fare enough.

Now that you mention; your right. I had forgotten myself; so many years ago... plumbing and "wetting the joint" but is it when your applying flux or when your actually soldering? .

It's been at least 30 years ago for me.

I'm pretty sure it's the actually tinning part. I think they just call applying flux "applying flux". Any other developments with the TV yet, btw?

Like you; I'm waiting for a flop. I ran it non-stop for 5hrs sunday then turned it off and waited an hr or so then back on? seems ok.

Still baffled? Let you know here if it stops again.

Ok , I have another couple possibilities. Maybe there was a sync issue of the HDMI; just a guess.

The reason I say this is because; there is a random occurrence at work. In one of our classrooms; I have a Cisco C90 codec we use to broadcast out to several High School locations around the Valley. Every once in a great while; there is no video on our local studio monitor to display the content screen from the broadcast unit. This is only a local monitor issue; the packets still end up at the sites just fine and they view the broadcast.

However, when this occurs the only work around is to unplug the HDMI Cable from the C90 momentarily and plug it back in; this will then re-sync the video to the Monitor and all is fine; of course until the next occurrence.

I thought in the beginning of my problem; maybe it was an incompatibility of the cable; such as 1.0, 1.2a, 1.3, 1.4 video format issues non-forward compatibility; but that would most likely happen immediately. However, this did occurred after the purchase of a new HD Cable Box. The problem is it was sometime after; maybe around 8 or 10 months.

I'm not sure what the cable box is broadcasting or what version of cables I have to be compatible or not?

If this occurs again I will replace the cables. HDMI is so fickle; I've never had issues like this using DVI-D. I just think they should get away from it all together.

I say it needs a thunderbolt connection or something better. Don't care for HDMI.

Still running fine; I am doing an 18hrs run test today and check it out tomorrow.

Watching this space with interest....

I've forgotten what it actually does, but when someone told me about it I thought, Thunderbolt is cool (if it's what I'm thinking it is, that is.) Otoh, hdmi still seems immature. It will be nice when vendors manage to agree on everything...

Thunderbolt is like Macs version of display port but; with more bandwidth. I think it's design is more palatable to me with the ever increasing resolutions.

Mac said:
Thunderbolt is a revolutionary I/O technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices through a single, compact port. It dramatically redefines the idea of expansion.

Watching this space with interest....

I've forgotten what it actually does, but when someone told me about it I thought, Thunderbolt is cool (if it's what I'm thinking it is, that is.) Otoh, hdmi still seems immature. It will be nice when vendors manage to agree on everything...

It's DRM that complicates things with HDMI and I've heard about the glitch Bob is talking about.

Still don't understand how much DRM is stopping anything. For those who are not able they always have a friend willing to sell it to them. I'm thinking it's a lot of money spent on something to stop a thief and humor those who want to believe it's going to keep their Intellectual property from Piracy.

Still don't understand how much DRM is stopping anything. For those who are not able they always have a friend willing to sell it to them. I'm thinking it's a lot of money spent on something to stop a thief and humor those who want to believe it's going to keep their Intellectual property from Piracy.

Well it's the USA who demand it's done :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back