Samwha electrolytic capacitors quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

Hi folks anyone any experience with Samwha capacitors? I am looking at these to replace some large ageing electrolytics in an old amplifier (75W) and wonder if I can expect a reasonably long life and decent performance out of them?

oh an ebay link - **broken link removed**

Need to know the voltage rating of the cap in the circuit. Samwah doesn't have a great reputation (don't know if it is well deserved or not). Generally speaking you will get longer life from the higher temperature rating/ripple current and lower ESR.

2 x capacitors @ 63V rating for a +/- 50v supply. Not sure what make they are off hand but most electros in this unit were Roederstein which I think were about as good as you got in 1981! ESR quite good in some of them but one or two were a little high ohms.
I think I might leave them then as there is no sign of leakage and the ripple at maximum volume under load is less than a volt. I just wanted to guarantee some longevity before I sold the unit on but I am not prepared to pay £20+++ for a single capacitor!
Not sure that a bad rep for Samwha would be justified but that is what I would like to know for sure!
Olly.

Thanks Ronv. I guess it could have been any number of reasons, like you say too much heat build up or a bad batch, maybe a combination of factors. If they had been stored on a shelf for 3 years as that article suggests that would have not been ideal I guess!!!
I suspect they are ok though. I would really like to hear from anyone else or maybe if anyone has any reasonably priced alternatives!

Thanks Ronv, if I ever look at bigger orders I will look at them first! They have a better range of 10000uf than many of our trade (UK's) suppliers!

Is there anyone in the UK that can give me some pointers? Nigel, you service tellies 'n' stuff - are you around?

Samwha caps are crappy

I go with Nichicon and/or NCC all the time

Other good brands are Mallory, Panasonic, CDE, and Rubycon.

Nichicon has FG and FZ series are meant for audio use.

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…