Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RTC to PIC connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7michal

I've been trying to use a 32.768kHz crystal as the main clock of the PIC mcu and have been running into problems. The chip would get stuck and stop processing.

I've been using it on a bread board and with no 10-15pf grounding caps... Ususally when I use a 4MHz crystal with out caps and on the breadboard I don't get any problems.

Is there a special way of connecting the RTC crystal that is different from a regualar crytal connection?

Many thank you's

You should always use capacitors, you may have been lucky with 4MHz crystals - particularly on a breadboard where there is lots of stray capacitance. Why not follow MicroChips recomendations?.

Why stay stuck on that clock crystal?

You can get decent RTC off of a faster crystal. Just set up an interrupt at at some even interval, and just carry remainders.

Oznog said:
Why stay stuck on that clock crystal?

You can get decent RTC off of a faster crystal. Just set up an interrupt at at some even interval, and just carry remainders.

The usual reason is power consumption, a PIC running off a 32KHz crystal has much lower power consumption - you must also remember to set the config fuses to LP of course.

You absolutely always should use capacitors. For a 32KHz clock the specs recommend 68 to 100pF.

Also make sure clock setting is LP, that is the one you need at that frequency, you are probably still using a HS or XT, which was fine with a 4Mhz.

EDIT: fine, I didn't see Nigel reply abot the LP was already there...IE cache problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back